Thin Section Laboratory
The School of Earth Sciences hosts a full range of sample preparation equipment to process rocks and related samples. Our services include crushing, cutting, impregnation, thin sectioning, polishing and chemical staining.
We prepare samples in support of teaching and research activities within the School, as well as for external partners and organisations such as the Geological Survey of Ireland.
For further information or to discuss your requirements, please contact Technical Officer Greg Van den Bleeken.
List of services offered
- Cutting, grinding, lapping and polishing of samples
- Vacuum impregnation of brittle, porous or loose (e.g. soil) samples with clear or blue dyed resin
- Thin sections of various sizes, both covered and uncovered
- Polished thin sections (e.g. for SEM / Microprobe), think sections (e.g. for LA-ICP-MS / SIMS) and resin blocks
- Staining of carbonates with alizarin red and / or potassium hexacyanoferrate
- Acetate peels of polished carbonate surfaces
Upon request we are happy to explore new sample preparation techniques to suit your needs.
Where to find us
The Thin Section Laboratory is located in Science Centre West, room G61. You can visist us there or contact us by email or telephone:
Mr John Kennedy
UCD School of Earth Sciences
Science Centre West
University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Lab Tel: +353 1 716 2080