- Gerd Albers Award 2023 – Best article
- Prof Eoin O’Neill announced as new Director of the UCD Earth Institute
- Professor Mark Scott appointed to Board of the Heritage Council
- Streetlife Design Competition: special mention for landscape graduates
- Prof Francesco Pilla launches new bike libraries for Dublin primary schools
- Peter Cody and Mary Laheen are part of a team representing Ireland at La Biennale di Venezia
- The growing research impact of APEP; a global leader in UCD
- Cathal O'Neill Obituary
- Foreign Exchange Book Launch
- Home retrofits may need to be re-done in ten years, Oireachtas committee hears
- Visiting Professor announcement
- Documenting Maritime Cultural Heritage
- Assessing Flood Risk Awareness Contributes to Environmental Policy Formation
- Supporting Climate Action Through Tree Planting recognised in UCD Research Impact Competition
- Two Student Winners in the GLDA Student & Graduate Design Competition 2022
- Empowering People to Address the Problems of Climate Change
- Building Climate Action Locally: Tools from the CCAT Project
- 2021 Archive
- 2020 Archive
- 2019 Archive
- 2018 Archive
- 2017 Archive
- 2016 Archive
Venice Architecture Biennale to be curated by UCD adjunct professors
Friday, 20 January, 2017
The Board of La Biennale di Venezia appointed Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara of Grafton Architects as curators of the 16th International Architecture Exhibition in 2018.
Farrell and McNamara are both University College Dublin graduates and adjunct professors in UCD School of Architecture. They will build on the 2016 theme that offered a critical overview of architecture as a means of improving society.
The Venice Biennale is an art exhibition that was founded in 1895 and is the longest running biennale in the world. The architecture exhibition will run from May to November 2018.
Grafton Architects won the 2016 Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) International Prize for its design of the Universidad de Ingeniería y Tecnologia (UTEC) in Lima, Peru.
Pictured (l-r): Shelley McNamara and Yvonne Farrell, founders of Grafton Architects
Farrell and McNamara have previously served as jury members for several architectural awards. These include the RIBA Stirling Prize in 2008, the Mies Van Der Rohe Prize in 2011 and the RIBA Award in 2012.
The pair held the Kenzo Tange chair at Harvard Graduate School of Design in 2010 and Louis Kahn chair at Yale in 2011. They are Fellows of the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland and International Honorary Fellows of RIBA.
By: Jonny Baxter, digital journalist, UCD University Relations