Research Graduate Programmes
The School of Civil Engineering offers two research-based higher degrees:
- The Master of Engineering Science (M.Eng.Sc. - mode 1)
- The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
The research programmes (MEngSc and PhD) reflect the wide spectrum of Civil Engineering practise.
Current research includes
- soil mechanics and foundation problems,
- analytical and experimental aspects of structural behaviour,
- traffic and transportation studies,
- water and environmental engineering,
- computational modelling of civil engineering materials,
- systems and processes.
UCD Civil Engineering has made major investments in recent years to modernise and improve its research capability across a range of sub-disciplines and to establish facilities for world class research.
Facilities include laboratories for structural testing, concrete, soils, road materials, hydraulics, water and effluent analysis, PC and workstation facilities and an engineering workshop.
A student can undertake a research project on any approved topic under the direction of a member of the academic staff of the School.
Prospective candidates should contact the academic staff member whose research interests are close to the candidates preferred research area.