- UCD and Northeastern University extend and deepen long-standing partnership with five collaborative research projects
- EPA announces €14.3M in new research funding
- Arup Scholarship Awards 2024
- UCD names new Vice-President for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Project promoting safe staffing in the healthcare system wins UCD Research Impact Competition
- VOICE Project Launches to Shape Tomorrow's Sustainability
- Teachers for the Planet Programme
- Exploring Futures in Engineering and Architecture- UCD January Open Days
- Information Session: UCD Prof. Cert in Digital Facility Layout Planning
- UCD-led space project receives over €7.9m from Disruptive Technologies Innovation Fund
- UCD Researchers awarded over €4m in ERC grants for Biomedical Engineering and Political Economy projects
- Highly Cited: Professor Da-Wen Sun & Professor Paula Bourke listed amongst 2023’s most influential researchers
- ESTEEM Graduate Programme
- Electrical Engineering Class of 1968
- €257,000 allocated to 24 UCD projects in STEM Challenge Fund
- ERC Starting Grants Awarded to UCD Researchers in Humanities and Engineering
- Prof Niall English receives ERC Advanced Grant to optimise nanobubble technology for diverse end applications
- ERC Proof of Concept Grant for UCD Researcher exploring macromolecular crowding in cell culture systems
- SDG Academy and University College Dublin launch new Master’s Pathway in Foundations of Sustainable Development
- Engineers Ireland Accreditation May 31st 2023
- UCD researcher receives ERC funding to unlock insights into pig-to-human heart transplants
- Biomedical Engineering Innovator Receives 2023 NovaUCD Innovation Champion of the Year Award
- Inventor of Disruptive Biosensors with Industrial Bioprocessing Applications Receives 2023 NovaUCD Invention of the Year Award
- seamlessCARE Receives 2023 NovaUCD Spin-Out of the Year Award
- Prof Francesco Pilla launches new bike libraries for Dublin primary schools
- Launch of WATSON Project at UCD
- UCD's Livija Vasilenkaite - First Prize Winner #ThisIsEngineering2023
- Minister Harris and Commissioner McGuinness announce first recipients under the €65M National Challenge Fund
- Séamus McDermott receives his Honorary Doctorate
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - The Final Days
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 3
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 2
- College researchers recognised in UCD Research Impact Competition
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952)
- Arup Scholarship Presentation 2022
- UCD wins Higher Education Partnership of the Year Award at the Asia Matters Business Awards
- Dr Amiya Pandit wins the Thomas Mitchell Medal
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2022
- 2022 News Archive
- 2021 News Archive
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
- Building the State
- A Centenary Celebration
Two Winners of the Best Innovative Concept Detail Design in the GLDA Student & Graduate Design Competition 2020.
Tuesday, 23 February, 2021
Posted 23 February, 2021
Barbara Steczkiewicz and Evan Bailey were awarded "Best Innovative Concept Detail Design" in the Garden & Landscape Designers Association student & Graduate Design Competition 2020. This year’s design brief was to create: ‘a greener space that can add peacefulness into a very busy setting’, entrants were asked to design a site on Blind Quay in Dublin City Centre considering the site's historic and urban context, its exposure to heavy traffic and the integration of sustainable urban drainage systems (SuDS). The task was to improve the city ecology and mitigate the impact of climate change as well as to create a green oasis and calm space for various public uses on a busy trafficked street.
The competition was sponsored by Millbrook Paving Centre and The Kildare Gallery at Carton House in association with Dublin City Council, who identified a site on Dublin’s Quays for use in the competition
Applications were open to two categories:
- Any STUDENT on the Island of Ireland currently studying an (accredited) garden design, landscape architecture, horticulture related course or landscape skills training course.
- Any GRADUATE from the above approved courses who qualified in 2019 – 2020.
The prize awards were:
- Best Category One (Student) Concept Master Plan Design – iPad & trophy.
- Best Category Two (Graduate) Concept Master Plan Design – iPad & trophy.
- Best Innovative Concept Detail Award 2020 – trophy: Barbara Steczkiewicz & Evan Bailey, UCD Landscape Architecture, 3rd year.
- Best Planting Design 2020 – trophy.
You can view the winning submissions below.