For standard loans and returns, users should use the self service option available in each of our libraries. Self-Service machines allow you to borrow or re-issue books to your account. They are especially useful when the Library is open as a “reading room only” service. Please ask for a demonstration if you need assistance in using the machines.
Why is it important to get a receipt?
- It is a record of the item you borrowed, renewed or returned.
- It tells you when the item is due back.
- Printing your receipt closes your account so that no one else can borrow a book under your name by mistake.
James Joyce Library
Return Short Loan items: via the Short Loan Self-Service return slot to the left of the Information Desk. When items are returned here, the loan is cancelled immediately, and your account is cleared.
Returns for Long Loan collections should be returned to the book drops located on the concourse outside the James Joyce Library at the library entrance, or to the left of the Information Desk. These loans will not be cancelled immediately, but these book drops are cleared and material cancelled regularly during service hours.
Other UCD libraries
Please return books to the Information Desk during service hours. When the libraries are closed please use the Book Drops outside the Veterinary Medicine or James Joyce Libraries.
How do I use the Self-Service machines?
The on screen instructions provide step by step assistance. If you have any problems using them, ask a member of staff for help.
Why is the Self-Service machine not working for me?
There are a number of reasons why this may happen including when:
- Items on your account are overdue.
- Fines on your account are more than €10.00.
- Items on your account have been recalled for another user.
- Items on your account have already been renewed as often as is allowed.
- Your student/staff ID card is damaged or has a faded barcode.
- The barcode on the book needs to be replaced. Please bring this item to an Information Desk.
- You are returning a book from another UCD Library. Please place it in the bookdrop instead.
- Some items can only be issued or returned by Library staff. These include Inter-Library Loans and items that have been reserved by another user. Please return these items to an Information Desk.