Study Rooms and Zones
There are quiet study spaces located all around our libraries. All social study areas, including the Library Hubs and group study rooms, are now open.
Non-bookable study spaces can be found on JJL Levels 2 and 3 and the Hub areas on Level 1.
Study seats in other areas of the James Joyce Library and all other UCD libraries must be booked online and in advance. See our booking system at https://libcal.ucd.ie.
All group study areas are now open.
In James Joyce Library there are 17 single study rooms available for use by UCD research postgraduates, which can be booked online. Unfortunately, these are not available to occasional students.
- 17 individual study rooms are available in James Joyce Library.
- These rooms are only available to postgraduates.
- Rooms are allocated for a week at a time.
- Normal Library regulations apply to these rooms, but also read and follow the study room regulations.
Booking individual study rooms
- Rooms may be booked for a week at a time, as well as for the following week if available.
- All bookings are made through SISWeb - the booking option appears under Campus Facilities.
- Keys may be collected from the Level 1 Service Desk in the James Joyce Library from 10.00 on Monday mornings.
- Please return room keys to the dedicated red Key Return Box on Level 2 by 16.45 on Friday, or before, even if you have a confirmed booking for the same room the following week.
The Postgraduate Research Centre (PRC) is located in the James Joyce Library. Places are booked using an online system.
What is the Postgraduate Research Centre (PRC)?
- A quality research space available to registered postgraduate students. Unfortunately it is not available to Occasional students.
- The PRC is located on Level 2 of the James Joyce Library.
- Spaces can be booked for one week at a time.
What does it provide access to?
- 14 individual workstations all with networked desktop facilities.
- 2 dedicated spaces for laptop users.
- Network printing.
How can I book a place or gain other access to this space?
- Bookings are made for one week at a time.
- All bookings are made through SISWeb - the booking option appears under Campus.
- Access to the PRC space is controlled by an electronic keypad. The access code will be included in your confirmation email.
Social study areas on Level 1 of the James Joyce Library are open and do not need to be booked
James Joyce Library has a number of social study areas on Level 1 - the ground floor.
The Library Hub and Hub2 are areas where users can chat and relax, or study in a social ambience.
There are also 3 glass-fronted Link rooms on the same floor. These are used for classes, and by the Maths and Writing support services. But when they are not in use for that, they are open to all users to study alone or in groups - and again quiet talking is allowed in these rooms.
Link 3 on Level 1 is currently closed to all but Veterinary Science students as the Vet Library is closed for renovations.
The Link 4 space on Level 2 of the James Joyce Library near the Law collection is currently closed.
The Pod located on Level 2 near the Exhibitions Area is currently closed.