Spanish and Portuguese studies at the School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics is honoured to host the annual conference of the Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland, 29th-31st March 2021. The conference will be held virtually to ensure safety and ease of participation for all delegates. The three-day event will comprise panels of individual research papers, keynote speakers, events for postgraduate students and a varied programme of cultural events sponsored by our partners in the Spanish and Latin American embassies and cultural institutions.
The AHGBI is a professional association of University teachers and researchers in all areas of Hispanic and Lusophone Studies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales and a UK charity (Registered Charity Number 1158229). It aims to promote scholarly research in Great Britain and Ireland into the study of the languages and cultures of the Hispanic and Lusophone world.
Join the streaming of our Keynote speaker talks live on Youtube:
Conference DetailsDate: Monday, March 29, 2021 - Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tickets range from €15-30
- Pascale Baker
- Diana Battaglia
- Mary Farrelly
- Philip Johnston
- Tara Plunkett
- Jeremy Squires
The Association of Hispanists: https://www.hispanists.org.uk/Sponsors:
The Conference has received collaboration and support from:
- UCD College of Arts and Humanities
- the School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
- the Instituto Cervantes
- the Embassy of Perú
- the Embassy of Chile
Registration for AHGBI 2021 is closed.
This year the Annual AHGBI conference will be held virtually to ensure safety and ease of participation for all delegates. The conference will be a three-day event and, as customary, will comprise a selection of parallel academic panels, keynote addresses, workshops for postgraduate students and a varied programme of cultural events sponsored by our generous partners.
Please click on the name of each individual session (e.g. Spanish Golden Age 1) to access the abstracts.
What to expect
This year's conference will be taking place fully online:
- You will receive an e-mail with the link and a confidential password with which to access the conference interface a few days in advance.
- The conference panels and papers will be delivered using the Zoom platform. A Zoom link for the panels will be provided on the conference website together with detailed instructions on how to use Zoom.
- One week before the conference you will receive via email a digital support pack containing all the information, guidelines and resources to allow you to enjoy the conference.
- Technical requirements to present: we recommend you have the camera and microphone on and make sure to have a good and stable internet connection
- You will be able to share your screen in Zoom and use a PPT or visual material to support your paper presentation.
Download Info Leaflet HERE.
Click HERE to find some guidance on how to use Zoom, navigate the conference page and join our panels and social sessions (the access code will be sent to all delegates shortly).
Professor Isabel Torres
PLENARY 1 – 29/03/2021 4.00-5.00pm
Queen's University Belfast
Professor Nuala Finnegan
PLENARY 2 – 30/03/2021 4.00-5.00pm
University College Cork
Dr Pascale Baker
PLENARY 3 - 31/03/2021 1.00 – 2.00pm
University College Dublin