Inaugural Lecture Professor James Devenney
- Research Workshop on Legal protection of carbon sinks in the fight against climate change
- UCD and Eversheds Sutherland Conference Friday 10 November 2023
- Recognising Refugees Online Series: Practices and Modes of Recognition
- Current issues in Irish Public Law Conference
- Complicating Rights of Nature
- PhD and Post-Doctoral Researcher Biannual Workshop
- 2023 Distinguished Guest Lecture in Employment Law
- The Assisted Decision-Making Capacity Act: implications for legal and healthcare professionals
- UCD Human Rights Centre: Research Seminar 'Music Rights as Human Rights?'
- John M Kelly Memorial Lecture
- Constitutional Law: An Update
- Seminars on the French Judicial System and Franco-Irish judicial cooperation in the EU context
- Virtual book launch: ‘Changing individual behaviour and culture in financial services’
- Events 2022
- Events 2021
- Events 2020
- HRER/ UCD Conference 12 June 2023: preliminary announcement and Call for Papers (deadline 13.03.23)
- Events 2019
- Events 2018
- Events 2017
- Events 2016
Inaugural Lecture by Professor James Devenney
The UCD Sutherland School of Law is proud to host the Inaugural Lecture by Professor James Devenney, McCann Fitzgerald Chair in International Law and Business.
The lecture is titled "Spies, Parking Tickets, Illegal Transactions and Insider Dealing: Four Cases which Reshaped Contract Law"
|Date:||Wednesday April 5th, 2017|
|Location:||UCD Sutherland School of Law|
In this lecture Professor Devenney will reflect on four cases from recent times which fundamentally alter our understanding of Contract Law. The four cases are Attorney General v. Blake  1 AC 268 (on the restitutionary damages in Contract Law and the subsequent reconceptualization of loss in Contract Law), ParkingEye Ltd v. Beavis  UKSC 67 (recasting the penalty rule in Contract Law), Quinn v. Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited (In Special Liquidation)  IESC 29 (on illegal contracts) and Patel v. Mirza  UKSC 42 (also on illegal contracts).
All are welcome to attend, and there is no charge for this event. We do ask guests to rsvp to email@example.com by Friday March 31st.
Professor James Devenney
/law/t4media/James Devenney SSOL.jpg
Professor James Devenney was appointed to the prestigious McCann FitzGerald Chair of International Law and Business in September 2016. He joined the UCD Sutherland School of Law from Exeter University where he had been Dean of the Law School having previously been Deputy Head of Durham Law School and Director of the Durham University Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law. His appointment is a crucial addition to the UCD Sutherland School of Law faculty in the area of international law and business and we are grateful to McCann FitzGerald for their support. Professor Devenney’s teaching background and the number of visiting positions held at other universities across the world, will consolidate the recruitment of national and international students to the various programmes in the School. Furthermore, his extensive research record will provide significant support to the School of Law’s future strategy and our objective to move into the top 50 Law Schools in the world.