Admission to UCD Library
UCD Staff and Students
UCARD is UCD’s Campus Card to which staff and students are entitled.
It is used for numerous services on campus e.g. library, identification, printing, photocopying, point of sale, access control. It is non-transferrable.
- Students receive their UCARDs during orientation.
- Staff (new, current and retired) should contact the UCARD office to arrange a card (some temporary or part-time staff may not be eligible for a Staff UCARD but may be issued with a Visitor UCARD).
- UCARDS take 15 minutes to be activated, regretfully during which time they cannot be used to enter the Library.
In certain circumstances the Library may issue library admissions cards for UCD staff not eligible for a UCARD. Please contact us for more information.
UCARD and the Library
UCARD serves as the Library Card and provides admission to all 5 UCD Libraries.
A UCARD is needed to:
- Enter and exit the Library
- Borrow books
- Borrow a laptop
- Photocopy and print
- A temporary admission card can be obtained at the temporary library card kiosk in the James Joyce Library lobby.
- Books and laptops cannot be borrowed with a temporary admission card.
- A temporary admission card replaces the UCARD for the whole day. Keep this card with you to enter and exit the Library as your UCARD will not work at the gates.
- Report lost cards immediately.
- Contact UCARD to obtain a replacement card.
- Re-issued or replaced UCARDs take 15 minutes to be activated, regretfully during which time they cannot be used to enter the Library.
Download the UCD Library App
Never forget your library card again by downloading and installing the Library App. Once you do, your smartphone becomes your virtual library card. Find out more by downloading the app here, or at the app stores.