UCD Global Guides
UCD's team of Global Guides support fellow students by providing information, managing and organising events and offering peer to peer support.
We are now looking for UCD student Global Guides for the 2020/21 semester, beginning in August 2020. See below for further details and application forms, or contact email@example.com for informal queries.
Meet the UCD Global Guides
Global Guides are based in the UCD Global Lounge during term time - so pop in to meet them!
I get to meet so many great people from all over the world and have really interesting conversations with them. It’s really cool to be part of such a diverse community and that’s really my favourite part of being a Global Guide. I hope to see you soon in the Global Lounge!
Jia-Lynn, Malaysian, Global Guide
Become a UCD Global Guide
Are you interested in being part of our UCD Global Guide team? You will be paid to support fellow students and develop your skills in a range of areas such as information provision, event management, peer to peer support and administration.
We are looking for UCD student Global Guides for positions starting in August 2020. We offer part-time hours and the chance to be part of a team that promotes interculturalism on UCD campus.
You can check out Yara's blog to hear all about the role - straight from a Global Guide!
See below for more information, and details on how to apply.
UCD Global Guides provide support to UCD Global and students. They manage the day-to-day activities within the Global Lounge, to promote and increase international activity in UCD. Duties of a Global Guide include;
- Welcoming and assisting UCD Global Lounge users and ensuring a relaxing and supportive environment.
- Helping with sign-posting and orientation for international students around campus, and providing information on public transport and local facilities.
- Answering students’ questions regarding UCD and student life.
- Assisting in the planning of large-scale events and any associated preparation, i.e. be responsible for room set-up, seating plan and Laptop/PA system; ensure the smooth running of events and deal with any technical issues that may arise; be the main point of contact with event organisers; welcome guests and deal with ticketing and crowd control.
- Assisting with managing, hosting and organising of regular events such as ‘Language Cafés’, ‘National Celebrations’, ‘Movie Nights’ and ‘Games Afternoons’.
- Being a contact point for students on UCD Global social media channels.
- Creating content for UCD Global’s social media channels.
- Assisting in the promotion of events through social media, online blogs and other methods.
- Accompanying students on organised bus and cultural tours.
- Ensuring that the UCD Global Lounge is kept tidy at all times and all equipment maintained.
- Ensuring that there is no infringement of ‘house rules’ or ‘equality guidelines’.
- Speaking at information sessions and talks in the UCD Global Lounge e.g. Orientation and Student Panel Sessions.
- Tracking and completing online engagement forms e.g. number of people at events.
- Completing any other duties as directed by your Line Manager.
The ideal UCD Global Guide will have the following qualities, experience and skills:
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Experience of living and/or studying abroad.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commitment to ensuring that international students get the best out of their UCD experience.
- Good organisational, administrative, technical and social media skills.
- A flexible approach and an open mind.
- Experience of dealing with diverse cultures.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Ability to represent the UCD Global Lounge and UCD Global to the highest standard.
- Awareness of cultural adjustments which students and staff need to consider when working in a multicultural environment.
- A good knowledge of UCD and its student support services, campus and transport links.
- A good knowledge of Dublin and popular tourist attractions.
Please note that this role involves some manual lifting, i.e. moving tables and chairs for room set-up.
Only currently enrolled UCD students can apply. Applicants must have completed a minimum of 2 trimesters at UCD by September 2020.
Shifts are outlined below. Please note that these are subject to change. Each Global Guide is expected to work a minimum of 2 shifts per week. Employment duration is for 12 weeks initially.
|Day||Shift 1||Shift 2||Shift 3|
08:50hrs - 13:00hrs
|13:00hrs - 17:00hrs||17:00hrs - 21:00hrs|
|Saturday Sunday||Closed - excluding Orientation and special events|
Yes, successful applicants are required to participate in training prior to commencing work in the UCD Global Lounge.
- All UCD students, from Stage 2 upwards, are invited to apply, including postgraduate students.
- Mandatory training will take place on the 25th and 26th August 2020.
- Global Guides are generally allocated 2 shifts per week during the teaching term.
- Global Guides are eligible to apply for a UCD Advantage Award which formally acknowledges student engagement in co-curricular activities.
- Further details will be given to shortlisted candidates.
An opportunity to enhance your college experience by being part of an exciting student initiative. Improve your skills through experience and training. Work part-time and be paid €10.10 per hour.
For informal enquiries, please email Colin Tannam: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 6 April. Late applications will not be accepted.
As a Global Guide, I get to spend time in the Global Lounge with other students. It’s such a great space where students can just drop in to spend some time, study, watch a movie or attend events. Part of my work being a Global Guide involves giving advice to international students on everything about campus, Dublin and Ireland. So drop down to the Global Lounge whenever you’d like – there’ll always be a Global Guide here to answer any questions you might have!
Niall, Irish, Global Guide
Take the Next Step
Contact us today for more information or to apply for a place.