Study at UCD

Health Insurance

Scroll down

Health Insurance

Because of the regulations of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Bureau (INIS) students from outside the EU / EEA must obtain private health insurance (please see Health Insurers in Ireland below). UCD does not arrange health insurance for students.

Non-EU students must obtain private health insurance. You can purchase insurance in your home country; however, you will need to ensure that it is valid in Ireland and in any other countries you plan to travel to. There are different levels of private health insurance available. Students are advised to read their policy documents carefully.  Immigration Service Delivery (ISD) requires that, if you have health insurance from your own country it must cover you up to €25,000 for in-hospital treatment.

If you are coming to Ireland to study on an academic course of one year or less, basic medical expenses insurance is available for approximately €160 from Study and Protect. This insurance policy will satisfy the visa/immigration requirement for private health insurance and can be obtained before students arrive in Ireland.

If you are coming to Ireland to study on an academic course of more than one year, you are deemed ‘ordinary resident’ from the moment you arrive in Ireland, and therefore require more comprehensive health insurance.

Further details on health insurance plans available to students are available via the Study and Protect website: 

Comprehensive plans are also available from one of the three main private health insurance companies in Ireland: VHI, Irish Life or Laya Healthcare. Please note that in order to apply for a policy from one of these companies you will need to provide an address in Ireland and you may also require a PPS number.  We recommend that you check the waiting periods on these policies. Further information on health insurance in Ireland is available through the Health Insurance Authority website.

Students from EU Member States in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are entitled to public health services in Ireland. The EHIC card is available from the health authorities in your home country. For further information and information on your entitlements to healthcare while in Ireland, please see the European Health Insurance Card website.

Health insurance must be purchased from within Ireland after the first year - this requirement is applicable to any student renewing their IRP card.