Working in Ireland

Scroll down

Working in Ireland

International students engaged in full-time study of at least one year’s duration (on a course leading to a qualification which is recognised by the Irish Department of Education and Skills) currently do not need a work permit to work in Ireland.

Students holding a valid  immigration Stamp 2  permission will be permitted to work 40 hours per week only during the months of June, July, August and September, and from 15 December to 15 January inclusive.  At all other times students holding Immigration permission Stamp 2 will be limited to working 20 hours per week. The permission to work ceases on the expiry of the students Stamp 2 immigration permission.

Please note that as an international student, you are allowed to work in Ireland only when:

  • You register with the Immigration Service Delivery and hold a valid IRP card indicating your immigration permission. 
  • You have a Personal Public Services (PPS) Number.
Please note that non-EU/EEA students who hold ‘Stamp 2A’ permissions will not be permitted to work in Ireland. This includes single semester students.

‘Stamp 2’ permission holders are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time. During the months of June, July, August and September and between 15 December and 15 January, these students are permitted to work up to 40 hours per week.  

Students availing of the Third Level Graduate Programme receive a ‘Stamp 1G’ permission. This entitles them to work up to 40 hours per week for a period of 12 months following successful completion of their course, with the option of extending for a further 12 months subject to certain conditions.

Job Opportunities

For information about part-time/casual job opportunities, check out the following websites:

How to Apply for a PPS (Personal Public Service) Number

The Personal Public Service (PPS) number is a unique reference number that helps you access services and information in Ireland and is essential for taxation purposes. All employees in Ireland must have a PPS number (tax identification number) and you can only start working once you have a PPS number. 

Please note that applications for PPS number are done online and processing times may vary greatly depending on volumes.

Find out further information about PPS numbers.

You can apply online for a PPS number using, if you are living in Ireland and you are at least 18 years of age. You also need a basic MyGovID account.

When you apply online, you need to upload:

  • A copy of your passport ID page
  • Your UCD Certificate of Attendance as evidence of why you need a PPS number and proof of address 


Q: Who can sign the Reg 1 form as a witness on the PPS application form?

A: Anyone who is known to you


Q: Question 15 asks: Please state the reason why you require a PPS number?

A: Students can insert "Education" in the box provided. 


Q: What evidence can I provide with my application to show that I require a PPS number?

A: UCD Certificate of Attendance

You can apply for a PPS number if you are living outside Ireland by completing an application form Application form for a PPS Number (REG1) and also providing the following:

Completed forms should be scanned and emailed to or posted to;

Department of Social Protection,

Shannon Lodge,

Carrick on Shannon,

Co. Leitrim, N41 KD81,

Republic of Ireland.