Who is this course for?
This course is for all staff who would like to develop the skills and confidence to have the conversation they most dread – online or face to face.
At the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Actively participate and speak up in critical conversations in a confident and assertive way (on the phone, in small or large groups, in formal or informal settings, face to face or online)
- Assess other parties better in a conversation and present their case in a way that is more likely to appeal to them
- Know when to speak up and when to keep quiet
- Gain the confidence to prepare and make their case in the presence of more senior people and with those who challenge them with difficult questions
- Know when and how to “Say No!”
How long is this course?
The course duration is 7 hours (2 x 3 hour workshops over 2 weeks plus 1 hour Action Learning Set, online, 1 month later)
What topics will be covered?
- Critical Conversations - what are they and what makes them critical?
- Our reactions to critical conversations
- Controlling yourself
- Stages of a conversation
- What makes an effective conversation?
- Dynamics and politics
- Controlling your input and your material - preparation and the 4Fs Model
- Structure of your point, your demonstration, your presentation
- Handling those challenging situations and dealing with questions
- Getting yourself heard and controlling the discussion
- Saying “No”
- Having the conversation online
- Putting it into practice with scripted role plays – your own real-life situations
Do I need to prepare anything before or after the session?
Pre work will include:
- Complete the response to conflict questionnaire
- Complete the assertiveness questionnaire
- Read the articles provided on managing conflict
Post course work will include:
- Completing actions committed to in personal action plan
- Participants can if they wish request the support of a trusted ‘accountability buddy’ to support them in the execution of their action plan
- We advise participants to complete a reflective learning journal following the workshop, focusing on conflict situations, what they learned from the experience and actions for the future.
- Updating of actions and impact on digital whiteboard before action learning set
- A one-hour, online, action learning set will be facilitated two months after the programme to share experiences and learnings with one another and problem solve as needed.
Participants on this programme will have access to an online whiteboard and document repository for up to 3 months after completing the programme and all resources will continue to be available to them over this time. The materials can also be downloaded locally.
For details of upcoming events or to book your place on available courses, please visit the (opens in a new window)HR - Professional Development booking centre If your chosen course is fully booked or no longer available, you can access the UCD LinkedIn learning portal via your UCD Connect login where you will find a range of eLearning courses. The 2021/22 training course catalogue will be launched and available to book from the start of the next Academic Year
If you have any further queries on this programme, please contact (opens in a new window)firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext 4919.