Who is this course for?
This course is for all staff who wish to improve their critical thinking and logical reasoning for better analysis, evaluation and communication in workplace situations. The programme develops the critical and analytical thinking skills needed to correctly decipher information to influence and activate competent thinking into practical application.
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand critical thinking, its purpose and presentation
- Be very clear on the difference between good logic and bad reasoning
- Avoid derailment in meetings and discussions
- Use Socratic questioning to understand the core and scope of any situation
- Understand bias and heuristic thinking and how they affect all aspects of implementing thinking in communication, problem solving and decision making
How long is this course?
This course is 3 hours in duration.
What topics will be covered?
- Using Clear Reasoning: Making sense of goals
- Use the ‘Tree Diagram’ technique to produce clear, structured arguments
- Learn different styles and structure of argument to produce powerful rational persuasion
- Overcoming False Reasoning: Using cool logic in hot situations Learning to deal with false reasoning in meetings and discussions. Understanding ten tricks of manipulation that derail clear communication
- Introduction to Biases
- Heuristics: shortcut thinking
- Introduction to Socratic Questioning
Do I need to prepare anything before or after the session?
No pre-course work is required. Following the session participants are directed to further reading and research on the practice of Critical Thinking in the workplace.
For details of upcoming events or to book your place on available courses, please visit the HR - Professional Development booking centre If your chosen course is fully booked or no longer available, you can access the UCD LinkedIn learning portal via your UCD Connect login where you will find a range of eLearning courses.
If you have any further queries on this programme, please contact email@example.com or call ext 4919.