Who is this course for?
This course is for all staff who would like to sharpen their communication skills by identifying barriers to communication. Participants will explore strategies for overcoming these barriers and develop skills to build influence and impact.
By the end of this workshop participants will:
- Have reviewed their current communication skills and impact and developed a practical plan to enhance this
- Understood their own and others communication styles and how to have the greatest impact in different settings and contexts
- Enhanced their own communication skills
How long is this course?
The course duration is 3.5 hours, followed by a 30-minute action learning set, 2 months following the programme.
What topics will be covered?
- The communication process and how it can go wrong
- How our brains process what we hear – the filters we use
- Key rules of effective communication
- Understanding your own communication style and that of others
- Using that understanding in everyday communications at work
- Focused listening and skilled questioning
- Getting yourself heard in different situations
- Online communication – the minefield of our new virtual world and getting the best from it
- The assertive communicator
- Reviewing your communication and action planning to enhance your skills
Do I need to prepare anything before or after the session?
Pre work will include:
- A self-analysis questionnaire
- Two articles – HBR on Getting to Yes and a second article on virtual communications
- View video on taking control of non-verbal communications
- Think about your purpose for attending. What would be a positive take-away for you?
- The tasks will take no more than 40 minutes to complete
Post course work will include:
- Completing actions committed to in personal action plan
- Participants are encouraged to:
- a. Maintain a reflective journal for 6 weeks, detailing critical interactions and learning points.
- b. Read the articles provided on getting feedback and actively solicit feedback from colleagues in a face to face meeting
- c. Participants may wish to complete a Thomas International Personal profile analysis to further build self-awareness and enhance their communication style and receive expert 1:1 feedback
- Updating of actions and impact on digital whiteboard before action learning set
- A 30 minute, online, action learning set, facilitated by Invisio, 2 months after the programme to share experiences and learnings with one another and problem solve as needed.
Participants on this programme will have access to our online whiteboard and document repository for up to 3 months after completing the programme and all resources will continue to be available to them over this time. The materials can also be downloaded locally.
For details of upcoming events or to book your place on available courses, please visit the HR - Professional Development booking centre If your chosen course is fully booked or no longer available, you can access the UCD LinkedIn learning portal via your UCD Connect login where you will find a range of eLearning courses.
If you have any further queries on this programme, please contact email@example.com or call ext 4919.