Transition Year Students
Thursday, 30 November, 2023
The following are links to information for Transition Year students about choosing subjects and engaging with UCD:
Useful Resources for Transition Year Students
- The MyUCD website is the first place to visit to find information about UCD events, courses and entry requirements.
Useful Resources for Teachers
- Maths Week 2023 Celebration at UCD. Dr Áine Byrne from the UCD School of Mathematics and Statistics is hosting an event for Ty, 5th and 6th year students at UCD on 20 October 2023. Teachers are welcome to book a class to attend the event and it is now open for bookings at https://www.myucd.ie/visiting-ucd/events/a-celebration-of-maths-week-at-ucd/
- Role Models in pSTEM
You can be what you can see’ project was created to highlight positive role models for young women in the subjects of physics, mathematics, computer science and engineering. By creating videos for use in classrooms and on social media, the project hopes to make more young women aware of the very many career paths and opportunities available to them by pursuing these subjects. A handbook and slide deck are available for teachers to download and use with the videos
Transition Year Programmes
- 5 December 2023 UCD Physics Transition Year Event: The UCD School of Physics hosts Transition Year events each year. A new exciting half-day programme will be held on the 5 December 2023 from 10:30 am - 12:30 pm online via zoom, which will include interactive seminars, thought-provoking lectures, and experiments allowing students to experience Physics in the real world. This programme is a must for any Transition Year student who is passionate about pursuing a career in Science and has an interest in Physics. Participants will hear about the work of researchers and academics who are leaders in their field whilst also gaining an insight into what it's like to study Physics at a university level. Please register your interest on the event page (opens in new browser). Places are limited and this event is being hosted on a first-come-first-serve basis and is only for TY students, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have any additional questions. Please review the UCD Physics website for further information on GDPR (opens in new window).
- Signing up for Alerts
Across the University there are a number of events and activities for students in Transition Year, 5th and 6th Year. If you sign up for alerts, you can choose the areas you are interested in studying and you will receive emails about news and events. This is the best way to find out about activities in different areas.
- Campus Tours
The UCD campus tours are a great opportunity to visit the campus and meet current students. Included in the tour is a chance to visit the UCD O'Brien Centre for Science.
- Curiosity; Enabling equity of access to a STEM transition year placement programmeThe first of eight STEM placement weeks on CuriosiTY programme took place during the 20-24 March in UCD with twenty four pupils from nine schools across Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford experiencing life in a research environment. Activities on the programme were delivered by postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers from UCD Conway Institute, Systems Biology Ireland and UCD Charles Institute of Dermatology. Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Environmental Innovators Transition Year Programme
Environmental Innovators is a new programme for Transition Year students that presents the various challenges that our global food system faces and invites students to investigate innovative solutions. Teachers can register on the AgriWare TY page.