UCD Science Latest News
UCD Science News & Events
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
UCD Physicist Receives the 2019 NovaUCD Innovation Award
NovaUCD today announced the winners of its annual Innovation Awards. A total of 7 Awards, including the 2019 NovaUCD Innovation Award, were revealed during a virtual event, to highlight successes made in areas of commercialisation, consultancy, entrepreneurship and the promotion of an innovation culture, by members of the UCD community.
Read more at NovaUCD Innovation Awards...
Two leading University College Dublin researchers were named winners at the 2019 Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Awards. Professor Kevin O’Connor was declared SFI Researcher of the Year for his pioneering work in bioeconomy, while Professor William Gallagher, from the UCD School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science, received the SFI Entrepreneurship Award.
Read the full new post on the UCD Homepage.
Minister Eoghan Murphy has announced UCD scientist, Professor Tasman Crowe, Director of the UCD Earth Institute and Associate Dean of Science in UCD, as the chair of a new expert group to advise Government on the expansion of Ireland’s existing network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs).
Read the full article "UCD scientist to chair expert group advising Government on marine protected areas" on the UCD University Relations website.
Cancer Researchers at University College Dublin Lead Development of New Test to Detect Prostate Cancer
Cancer researchers at University College Dublin (UCD) have led the development of a new test which uses urine to detect prostate cancer, in research supported by the Irish Cancer Society. Read more...
Date Posted: 10 May 2019
L-R: Oisín Morgan, Louise Gannon, Marina Cunningham, Krzysztof Wroblewski, Ronan Coleman,
Scott McElhinney, Rebecca O’Mahoney. Absent from photo: David Watters.
Posted - 29 October 2019
At the Society of Actuaries Annual Convention 2019, eight UCD Actuarial & Financial Studies Stage 1 and Stage 2 students presented material from their group projects that investigated the wider usefulness of the actuarial skillset.
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
- SFI Researcher of the Year and Entrepreneurship Award for UCD professors (Posted 8 November 2019)
- UCD scientist to chair expert group advising Government on marine protected areas (Posted 25 October 2019)
- Eight UCD Schools win Athena SWAN awards for gender equality commitment (Posted 15 October 2019)
- Cancer Researchers at University College Dublin Lead Development of New Test to Detect Prostate Cancer (Published 18 March 2019)
- Astrophysicists Once Again Seek Public's Help to Unmask Muons Disguised as Gamma Rays (Published 14 March 2018)
- 2 Nov 2017: My UCD Blog: Starting my Internship at EMBL
- 2 Nov 2017: My UCD Blog: Navigating Gravitational Waves: Startung my PhD at the Beginning of a New Era of Astronomy
- 17 Nov 2017: My UCD Blog: Completing an Internship During my Chemistry Degree
- 30 Nov 2017: MSc Actuarial Science Winner at GradIreland Higher Education Awards
- 11 Aug 2017: My UCD Blog: My UCD Study Abroad Experience
- 11 Aug 2017: My UCD Blog: Building the I-LOFAR Radio Telescope-Part One
- 29 Aug 2017: My UCD Blog: Building the I-LOFAR Radio Telescope- Part Two
- 16 June 2017: Science Summer School 2017
- 16 June 2017: Computer Science Summer School 2017
- 21 June 2017: QS World University Subject Rankings 2017: UCD is No. 1 in Ireland for 40 subjects including the following in Science: Computer Science & Information Systems, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth & Marine Sciences, Envrionmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy and Statistics & Operational Research.
- 11 Jul 2016: European Study Group with industry (ESGI) Workshop hosted by UCD School of Mathematics and Statistics
- 9 Jun 2015: UCD Science Summer School 3 June 2015
- 9 Jun 2015: UCD Computer Science Summer School 5 June 2015
- 22 Jun 2015: A Superhero Fungus for Better Drugs
- 22 Jun 2015: Statistical Modelling and its Practical Uses in Cancer Imaging
- 23 Jun 2015: Nitrogen - a New Route to Boosting Gut Bugs
- 24 Mar 2015: New insights into depression
- 25 Mar 2015: How to Turn the Bad Guys Good in Hardened Arteries