UCD Science Latest News
UCD Science News & Events
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Meet UCD Microbiology graduate Emma Cullen...
Image: Vincent Hoban (UCD Media Services)
19 May 2017: My final undergraduate exam in the RDS.
19 June 2017: My first day in work at Glanbia.
8 September 2017: Receiving my scroll in the O’Reilly Hall for a BSc in Microbiology.
After four exciting years of undergraduate preparation in UCD, it certainly was a busy few months building up to graduation day. While carrying out my thesis in UCD, I applied to the Glanbia ‘Pure Ambition’ Graduate Programme and that is where I have found myself today. A previous internship with the Food Safety Authority of Ireland in the summer of third year had sparked an interest for the food industry so I couldn’t think of a better experience than a hands-on graduate programme with a global nutritional company.
I am currently working as a QA Food Science associate in a Glanbia dairy and am involved in assurance of the quality of milk from raw milk intake to final product despatch. My analytical style of thinking developed throughout my degree with UCD is vital for my role, working with large sets of data. The programme is two years in length with a rotation for the second year either in a new role or to a new geographical location or both. I would love the opportunity to try R&D as part of my rotation, something different but I’m sure equally as challenging as quality assurance.
I am looking forward to the year ahead.
Emma Cullen graduated from UCD with a BSc Microbiology in 2017 and works for Glanbia.
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
- 6 June 2018: UCD Science Summer School (Registration will open in late March 2018. If you wish to be notified when registration opens, please sign up at the UCD Summer School website)
- 7 June 2018: UCD Computer Science Summer School (Registration will open in late March 2018. If you wish to be notified when registration opens, please sign up at the UCD Summer School website)
- 2 Nov 2017: My UCD Blog: Starting my Internship at EMBL
- 2 Nov 2017: My UCD Blog: Navigating Gravitational Waves: Startung my PhD at the Beginning of a New Era of Astronomy
- 17 Nov 2017: My UCD Blog: Completing an Internship During my Chemistry Degree
- 30 Nov 2017: MSc Actuarial Science Winner at GradIreland Higher Education Awards
- 11 Aug 2017: My UCD Blog: My UCD Study Abroad Experience
- 11 Aug 2017: My UCD Blog: Building the I-LOFAR Radio Telescope-Part One
- 29 Aug 2017: My UCD Blog: Building the I-LOFAR Radio Telescope- Part Two
- 16 June 2017: Science Summer School 2017
- 16 June 2017: Computer Science Summer School 2017
- 21 June 2017: QS World University Subject Rankings 2017: UCD is No. 1 in Ireland for 40 subjects including the following in Science: Computer Science & Information Systems, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth & Marine Sciences, Envrionmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy and Statistics & Operational Research.
- 11 Jul 2016: European Study Group with industry (ESGI) Workshop hosted by UCD School of Mathematics and Statistics
- 9 Jun 2015: UCD Science Summer School 3 June 2015
- 9 Jun 2015: UCD Computer Science Summer School 5 June 2015
- 22 Jun 2015: A Superhero Fungus for Better Drugs
- 22 Jun 2015: Statistical Modelling and its Practical Uses in Cancer Imaging
- 23 Jun 2015: Nitrogen - a New Route to Boosting Gut Bugs
- 24 Mar 2015: New insights into depression
- 25 Mar 2015: How to Turn the Bad Guys Good in Hardened Arteries