Graduate Research and Innovation Fund Spring 2021/22
College of Social Sciences & Law
The College of Social Sciences and Law invite applications from Graduate Research Students registered to programmes in the College of Social Sciences and Law to apply for grants of between €100 and €1000 to support their educational and research endeavours. This fund may be applied to participation at professional international academic conferences (in Ireland and overseas) at which the student is presenting a paper (as sole or co-author). It may be an online or in-person conference.
The conference for which funding is being awarded must take place within six months before or six months after the deadline for the submission of the application. Exceptions to this are only granted under very exceptional circumstances.
Successful applicants, who are awarded funding, are automatically included to present their research at the CoSSL Graduate & Postdoc Researcher Summer School which takes place in May 2022.
We welcome individual applications only.
The fund cannot support basic research functions necessary to the research project itself such as field research, data gathering, data analysis etc. Applications to purchase personal computers, laptops or books cannot be accepted.
Terms and Conditions:
- All applicants must be fully registered graduate research students whose primary supervisor is a staff member of a School within the College of Social Sciences & Law at the time of claim.
- All applicants must be in satisfactory fee status at the time of claim.
- Incomplete and/or unsigned applications will not be considered.
- Claims must be submitted within one month from the date of the event for which the award has been made, or within one month of the award, whichever is later, otherwise this award will be disallowed.
- Claimants must submit their own claims and should not be put through by a third party.
- Please fill in as much detail as possible so that the GRIF Committee is able to assess the application to its best potential.
- Applicants can submit more than one application, however, only one application per conference event is permitted.
- Applicants who already have a travel allowance must provide more details.
- Funding is only awarded as specified to awardee and is not transferrable.
- Applicants must look for best value for flights and accommodation and provide details.
Applications must be submitted using the Online Application Form
Academic support (supervisor/member of doctoral studies panel) must be provided using the Online Approver Form
Each application will be judged under specific criteria (noted below) by a sub-committee nominated by the Associate Dean, Graduate Social Sciences. A nominee of the Associate Dean, Graduate Social Sciences shall chair the sub-committee.
The sub-committee’s decision is final.
In respect of applications from individuals for various categories of travel grant – and for indicative purposes only – the maximum likely award for Ireland-based events will be €250; for comparable events elsewhere in Europe €500; and for exceptional overseas events €750. All expenses (travel, subsistence, registration fees) must be specified in advance and itemised and evidenced by way of receipts on return.
No funding will be made for non-receipted expenses and no advances may be paid. Students must submit original receipts and boarding pass stubs (if available) for reimbursement.
Specific Criteria for judging applications:
The selection criteria will be assessed on:
- the value for money,
- impact to the applicant, School and College
- the quality of the application.
Applicants must sign that they have read and accept the terms and conditions (listed above) of the Graduate Research & Innovation Fund.
Closing date for applications is Thursday 5pm March 31st 2022.
Past Award Winners
- GRIF Awards Made 17-18 Sem 2
- GRIF Awards Made 17-18 Autumn
- GRIF Awards Made 16-17 Sem 2
- GRIF Awards Made 16-17 Sem 1
- GRIF Awards Made 15-16 Sem 2
- GRIF Awards Made 15-16 Sem 1
- GRIF Awards Made 14-15 Sem 2
- GRIF Awards Made 14-15 Sem 1
- GRIF Awards Made 13-14 Sem 2
- GRIF Awards Made 13-14 Sem 1
- GRIF Awards Made 12-13 Sem 1
- GRIF Awards Made 11-12