- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1954) - Part 3
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1954) - Part 2
- College researchers recognised in UCD Research Impact Competition
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1954)
- Arup Scholarship Presentation 2022
- UCD wins Higher Education Partnership of the Year Award at the Asia Matters Business Awards
- Dr Amiya Pandit wins the Thomas Mitchell Medal
- Prestigious award for UCD team tackling stillbirth prevention
- Major milestone on Ireland’s journey into space
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2022
- University College Dublin Engineering Spin-out Shortlisted for Ireland Leg of the 2022 KPMG Global Tech Innovator Competition
- Irish Government invests in 47 projects to engage and inspire the public about STEM
- Irish-led international education project to grow understanding of the bioeconomy in society
- €16m energy system research partnership to decarbonise energy sector
- Home retrofits may need to be re-done in ten years, Oireachtas committee hears
- UCD spin-out PlasmaBound completes €2.35m funding round
- 2022 News
- 2021 News Archive
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
- Building the State
- A Centenary Celebration
Professor Da-Wen Sun Conferred with Honorary Doctorate Degree from Peru
Thursday, 15 February, 2018
Professor Da-Wen Sun, from UCD School of Biosystems and Food Engineering, has been conferred with Honorary Doctorate Degree from Universidad Privada del Norte (UPN) in Peru in recognition of his exceptional contribution and leading role for advancing food and biosystems engineering research and education at the global level. A special conferring ceremony was held on 12 February 2018 in the Breña Campus of UPN in Lima. Dr Andrés Velarde, the Rector of UPN, presented Professor Sun with the certificate, medal and plaque of the honorary doctorate of UPN.
In his conferring speech, Dr Andrés Velarde said that this was the first honorary doctorate he has conferred during his rectorship in the past seven years, he hoped that this honour would further strengthen the collaboration between Professor Sun and UPN, and help uplift the quality and reputation of UPN at international level.
Speaking for accepting the honour during the event, Professor Sun said it was a great honour for him to have received an honorary doctorate from UPN, “I really appreciate UPN for conferring this honorary doctorate degree upon me today. I will forever hold it with pride and humility and allow it to serve as a testament to the value of serving our profession with commitment and compassion”, “I understand that accepting this distinction is not only a great honour, but also a responsibility to me. The honorary doctorate degree from UPN provides me an opportunity, a platform and a communication channel for furthering our effective collaboration.”
UPN, established by the Peruvian Congress Law N° 26275 in November 1993, is the first international university in northern Peru. The university has six campuses in Trujillo and Cajamarca and Lima, with a total student population of over 60,000. Since September 2007, UPN has become a member of Laureate International Universities and has quickly developed an outstanding reputation for the quality of its teaching and scholarship, and for its pluralistic and global outlook. According to the latest ranking of uniRankTM based in Australia, UPN is ranked No. 10 in about 150 universities in Peru, and based on QS World University Rankings, UPN is among the best in Latin America.
Professor Sun is a world authority in food engineering research and education. His many scholarly works have become standard reference materials for researchers in the areas of computer vision / hyperspectral imaging, computational fluid dynamics modelling, vacuum cooling, etc. Results of his work have been published in more than 500 peer-reviewed journal papers (Web of Science h-index = 86, SCOPUS h-index = 90) with 39 papers being designated by ESI as highly cited papers. He is the recipient of numerous awards and honours including election to the Royal Irish Academy in 2010, selection as a Member of Academia Europaea (The Academy of Europe) in 2011, induction as a Fellow of International Academy of Food Science and Technology in 2012, award as a Fellow of International Academy of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering in 2016, and election as a Foreign Member of Polish Academy of Sciences. Among other international recognitions, Professor Sun was the recipient of the CIGR Fellow Award in 2010, the Freezing Research Award in 2013 from International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) and the IAEF Lifetime Achievement Award in 2015 from International Association of Engineering and Food (IAEF). He has also been honoured as one of the “Highly Cited Researchers” in the last 3 consecutive years (2015- 2017) by Clarivate Analytics (formerly Thomson Reuters). Professor Sun is also the founder and Editor in Chief of Food and Bioprocess Technology, one of the top food science and technology journals in the world.