- UCD and Northeastern University extend and deepen long-standing partnership with five collaborative research projects
- EPA announces €14.3M in new research funding
- Arup Scholarship Awards 2024
- UCD names new Vice-President for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Project promoting safe staffing in the healthcare system wins UCD Research Impact Competition
- VOICE Project Launches to Shape Tomorrow's Sustainability
- Teachers for the Planet Programme
- Exploring Futures in Engineering and Architecture- UCD January Open Days
- Information Session: UCD Prof. Cert in Digital Facility Layout Planning
- UCD-led space project receives over €7.9m from Disruptive Technologies Innovation Fund
- UCD Researchers awarded over €4m in ERC grants for Biomedical Engineering and Political Economy projects
- Highly Cited: Professor Da-Wen Sun & Professor Paula Bourke listed amongst 2023’s most influential researchers
- ESTEEM Graduate Programme
- Electrical Engineering Class of 1968
- €257,000 allocated to 24 UCD projects in STEM Challenge Fund
- ERC Starting Grants Awarded to UCD Researchers in Humanities and Engineering
- Prof Niall English receives ERC Advanced Grant to optimise nanobubble technology for diverse end applications
- ERC Proof of Concept Grant for UCD Researcher exploring macromolecular crowding in cell culture systems
- SDG Academy and University College Dublin launch new Master’s Pathway in Foundations of Sustainable Development
- Engineers Ireland Accreditation May 31st 2023
- UCD researcher receives ERC funding to unlock insights into pig-to-human heart transplants
- Biomedical Engineering Innovator Receives 2023 NovaUCD Innovation Champion of the Year Award
- Inventor of Disruptive Biosensors with Industrial Bioprocessing Applications Receives 2023 NovaUCD Invention of the Year Award
- seamlessCARE Receives 2023 NovaUCD Spin-Out of the Year Award
- Prof Francesco Pilla launches new bike libraries for Dublin primary schools
- Launch of WATSON Project at UCD
- UCD's Livija Vasilenkaite - First Prize Winner #ThisIsEngineering2023
- Minister Harris and Commissioner McGuinness announce first recipients under the €65M National Challenge Fund
- Séamus McDermott receives his Honorary Doctorate
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - The Final Days
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 3
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 2
- College researchers recognised in UCD Research Impact Competition
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952)
- Arup Scholarship Presentation 2022
- UCD wins Higher Education Partnership of the Year Award at the Asia Matters Business Awards
- Dr Amiya Pandit wins the Thomas Mitchell Medal
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2022
- 2022 News Archive
- 2021 News Archive
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
- Building the State
- A Centenary Celebration
UCD professor joins ranks of US National Academy of Engineering
Thursday, 30 November, 2023
UCD Professor Mark O’Malley has been elected to the U.S. (opens in a new window)National Academy of Engineering (NAE) “for contributions to the integration of wind generation resources into the electric grid.”
He is one of 16 new foreign members to join the academy. A total of 99 new members were elected this year including Jeff Bezos, president, chairman and CEO of (opens in a new window)Amazon; Mary Barra, chairman and CEO of (opens in a new window)General Motors; and Dennis Muilenburg, president, chairman and CEO of (opens in a new window)Boeing.
Election to the NAE is one of the highest professional distinctions an engineer can receive. Professor O’Malley is the only Irish member of the NAE.
Pictured: Professor Mark O'Malley, who was inducted into the NAE on September 30, 2018.
He is founding Director of the (opens in a new window)UCD Electricity Research Centre (ERC), Director of the (opens in a new window)International Institute of Energy Systems Integration and Chief Scientist at the U.S. (opens in a new window)National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
Professor O’Malley, UCD School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, is a member of the (opens in a new window)Royal Irish Academy, Fellow of the (opens in a new window)Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and dual (opens in a new window)Fulbright Fellowship recipient. He completed both his bachelor of engineering and doctorate at UCD.
The U.S. National Academy of Engineering (NAE) is an elected group more than 2,000 of the most accomplished engineers in the U.S. and around the world. Its mission is to "promote the technological welfare of the nation by marshalling the knowledge and insights of eminent members of the engineering profession."
It is part of the (opens in a new window)National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine and operates under the same congressional act of incorporation that established the National Academy of Sciences, signed in 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln.
Professor O’Malley was formally inducted into the NAE on September 30, 2018.
By: Jonny Baxter, digital journalist, UCD University Relations