- New Microneedle Platform Technology
- 5th UK & Ireland FOAM/OpenFOAM User Day
- Science Apprentice
- Neograft Teams with CÚRAM Research Group
- Ciara Giles Doran won a silver medal at SSRA16
- Fengzhou Fang
- Dr Peter Theobald will present research on novel material structures
- Image Guided Navigation in Airways - Monday 18th April, 1pm, room 204
- MME PhD takes pride of place in UCD's Women's GAA
- Traumatic Brain Injury seminar - Monday 7th March, room 204
- Industrial giant Bekaert launches University Technology Centre in UCD
- Engineers Journal to run series of articles from UCD
- 5th year student braves dragons on Hackathon winning team
- PhD student, Kevin Doherty, wins the IOM3 World Lecture Competition.
- UCD students win ESB Engineering Challenge…again!
- UCD getting ready for launch – MASER 13 rocket featured on SSW
- Presenting in the Dragon’s Den – Barry Brophy meets Bobby Kerr
- UCD to take lead on European Space Agency project
- Biomedical Engineering awarded EU funding for diabetes research.
Industrial giant Bekaert launches University Technology Centre in UCD
Monday, 27 June, 2016
UCD and Bekaert, a world leader in steel wire transformation and coating, announced the establishment of the Bekaert University Technology Centre (UTC).
The joint UCD-Bekaert Centre will engage in cutting edge research into wire products for applications as diverse as reinforced concrete and book binding.
Attending the Bekaert UTC Launch at NovaUCD: Orla Feely, Philip Cardiff, Geert Van Haver, David Fitzpatrick.
Dublin, Ireland, 1 February 2016, University College Dublin (UCD) and Bekaert, a world leader in steel wire transformation and coating technologies, today announced the establishment of the Bekaert University Technology Centre (UTC).
The new joint UCD-Bekaert Centre, to be located within the UCD School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, will focus on world-class research in characterisation, design and optimisation of materials, components and processes, ultimately leading to advanced next generation wire products.
Bekaert, which is headquartered in Belgium, has invested €500,000 in the establishment of the Centre which includes the appointment of Dr Philip Cardiff as Bekaert Lecturer in Materials Processing, along with PhD project and technical support.
Speaking at the launch event for the Bekaert UTC held at NovaUCD, Professor Orla Feely, UCD Vice-President for Research, Innovation and Impact said, “Building on core competencies of processing, characterisation, simulation and optimisation, the industrially focused projects to be undertaken at the Centre will combine innovation with world-class research and facilities to provide unique insights into the Bekaert processes and the design of more advanced materials.”
Bekaert is a global producer and supplier of highly specialised steel wires and solutions for a wide range of applications. Bekaert has a worldwide production and sales network with customers in 120 countries, a combined sales turnover of €4 billion and with approximately 30,000 employees worldwide.
Geert Van Haver, Chief Technology Officer, Bekaert said, “The Bekaert University Technology Centre raises our research co-operation to a higher level and it supports a broader scope of fundamental research but it also ensures that the research is rapidly and successfully applied in our process and product applications. Product cycles are becoming shorter and next generation products are coming faster to the market. To support this and to be able to have a leadership position in this evolution, fundamental research and understanding of materials is paramount.”
For further information contact Micéal Whelan, University College Dublin, Communications Manager (Innovation), e: email@example.com, t: + 353 1 716 3712 or Dr Philip Cardiff, Bekaert Lecturer in Materials Processing, UCD, t: +353 (0)1 716 1888 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bekaert is a world market and technology leader in steel wire transformation and coating technologies. We pursue to be the preferred supplier for our steel wire products and solutions by continuously delivering superior value to our customers worldwide. Bekaert (Euronext Brussels: BEKB) is a global company with 30,000 employees worldwide, headquartered in Belgium and €4 billion in annual revenue. www.bekaert.com