UCD Post-doctoral Research Fellow Level 1
This postdoc position has resulted from a collaboration between the company Output Sports and machine learning and movement science researchers in UCD. The proposed research collaboration has been driven by rapid advances in computer vision technologies, and the availability of human motion analysis libraries and pose estimation models that enable their application in real world settings.
Output Sports currently employs Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) sensor technology to capture data during a range of motor tasks and use this data to assess capacity for sporting performance with laboratory grade accuracy. Recent developments in computer vision technology now point the way towards the potential for using vision-based strategies to capture movement, enabling analysis of capacity for sports performance without the need for a dedicated sensor.
This project will result in the following outputs:
1. A large body of synchronised motion data related to human movement during a range of motor tests/tasks, captured with (1) gold standard optical motion capture system, (2) IMU technology, and (3) video cameras.
2. Machine learning algorithms that can be used to process raw data derived from pose estimation models to provide a means of accurate motion capture using ubiquitous camera technology (mobile phone camera).
3. Mapping levels of accuracy observed using above approach against requirements for specific motor tasks to determine potential for a phone-based offering in the recreational sports market.
This specific role focuses on the machine learning aspects of the project and the postdoc fellow will work together with a movement scientist, the Output Sports team and the UCD PI team to deliver the project outputs.
This is a research focused role, where you will conduct a specified programme of research supported by research training and development under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator.
The primary purpose of the role is to further develop your research skills and competences, including the processes of publication in peer-reviewed academic publications, the development of funding proposals, the mentorship of graduate students along with the opportunity to develop your skills in research led teaching.
In addition to the Principal Duties and Responsibilities listed below, the successful candidate will also carry out the following duties specific to this project:
1. Proactively contribute to the technical development of the project, identify areas for innovation within the project and develop practical solutions for their implementation.
2. Interact with project stakeholders (internal and external) and be comfortable presenting to increase the awareness of the project and of the host research centre, Insight Centre for Data Analytics.
3. Contribute and in some instances, take the lead on the preparation of scientific publications arising out of the project.
4. Develop data analysis pipelines and methodologies, as well as machine learning approaches according to the project needs.
5. Deliver research prototypes to showcase the data analysis capabilities.
Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We welcome applications from everyone, including those who identify with any of the protected characteristicsthat are set out in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy.
Apply Below (Ref: 013821)