Coronavirus: European nations choose self-preservation over the Union | Siniša Malešević quoted in TRTWorld
- Death of Professor Christopher Whelan
- Death of Clare Spencer | 1974 - 2022
- Special Issue Proposal: Irish Journal of Sociology
- Assoc Prof Sara O'Sullivan | HEA Funding Awarded for National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning Project
- Conor K. Ward | 23rd June 1930 - 18th July 2021
- Dr Lea David | Honorable Mention for the 2021 ASA Sociology of Human Rights Gordon Hirabayashi Book Award
- Sarah McAuley, UCD Social Policy and Sociology Student, Competing in Tokyo Olympic Games
- Prof Siniša Maleševic | Al Jazeera Balkans Interview on Paramilitary Violence During the Syrian War
- Prof Siniša Maleševic | Interview on Covid-19 and Nationalism in Croatia's 'Jutarnji list’
- Congratulations to Steven Loyal and Thomas Grund on their respective promotions to Professor
- Taha Yasseri | Using network analysis to understand and predict the Parliament’s Brexit Shenanigans | BMC Blog
- ‘Critical Exploration of Human Rights’ Conference – IELF Forum
- First Issue of 'Society' under Co-Editorship of UCD Sociology's Prof Andreas Hess Published
- IRC Funded Project | Elderly (non)migrants’ narratives of home: A comparative study of place-making in Ireland and Slovakia (EMNaH) | Dr Mastoureh Fathi
- Broadcasting Sociology | Student Podcasts and Videos on Sociological Topics
- Society | Liberal Communitarianism: an Interview with Amitai Etzioni at 92
- UCD-SAI Young Sociologist Competition Winners 2020/21!
- Pof Andreas Hess | UCD Sociology Professor appointed co-Editor-in Chief of Society journal
- HRB Funding Awarded to Two UCD Sociology Led Initiatives Examining Covid Impacts
- José Antonio Gutiérrez wins Máire De Paor Award for best Social Sciences PhD Thesis
- NewsTalk FM Talking History Podcast | The Bosnian War | Prof Siniša Malešević
- Book Launch | Classical and Contemporary Sociological Theory | Steven Loyal & Siniša Malešević
- New Books Network Podcast | The Past Can't Heal Us | Lea David Internview
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Colleges and COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland: Update
- Assoc. Prof. Taha Yasseri | Facebook and other social media are not to blame for filter bubbles, the problem of fragmentation is more fundamental
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Colleges and COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland: The 'Campus Experience" as Public Health Problem
- Prof Siniša Malešević | El Pais interview on the Spanis translation of 'The Rise of Organised Brutality'
- Prof Siniša Malešević | Grounded Nationalisms | Runner-up (honourable mention) in the 2020 Stein Rokkan Award
- Assoc Prof Mathew Creighton | Hidden versus revealed attitudes: A list experiment on support for minorities in Ireland
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Testing Times: Viral surveillance and social control in post-lockdown societies
- So what next: Becoming Anti-racist | Dr Alice Feldman in conversation with Dr Ebun Joseph
- Dr Lea David | We are at war: The rise of expert knowledge
- Opinion | Steven Loyal | Crèche Crisis in Ireland
- Opinion | Steven Loyal | Debenhams and its Workers - An Ominous New Normal?
- Book Launch | The Past Can't Heal Us: The Dangers of Mandating Memory in the Name of Human Rights by Dr Lea David
- Dr Egle Gusciute | Leaving the most vulnerable behind: Reflection on the Covid-19 pandemic and Direct Provision in Ireland
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Irish Covid-19 Testing Practices: Why They Matter. And Why They Don’t
- Purposeful solitude: reading Thoreau in a lockdown | Andreas Hess in Open Democracy
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Irish Covid-19 Testing Practices: Claims and Evidence
- Coronavirus: European nations choose self-preservation over the Union | Siniša Malešević quoted in TRTWorld
- The Theorist of Belonging | Andreas Hess and Samantha Ashenden on Judith Shklar in Aeon
- Sociology Seminar Series | Rachel Ibreck | Law and Activism in Conflict: Lessons from South Sudan
- Sociology Seminar Series | Mastoureh Fathi | Photos of Home
Coronavirus: European nations choose self-preservation over the Union | Seniša Malešević in TRTWorld
UCD Full Professor of Sociology, Siniša Malešević, was recently quoted in an article for TRTWorld exploring how national self-interest is the driving factor behind EU memberstates' respective responses to the COVID-19 emergency.
Coronavirus: Europen nations chose self-preservation over the Union draws atention to some discontent within EU member states and it's close neighbours at the lack of a Europe wide support initiative to help manage the unfolding crisis.
Maleševic draws on some of the themes in his Cambridge University Press book Grounded Nationalism by demonstrating that the COVID-19 response highlights that nation-states remain the key actor in their citizen's lives.