Prof Siniša Malešević | Grounded Nationalisms | Runner-up (honourable mention) in the 2020 Stein Rokkan Award
- Death of Professor Christopher Whelan
- Death of Clare Spencer | 1974 - 2022
- Special Issue Proposal: Irish Journal of Sociology
- Assoc Prof Sara O'Sullivan | HEA Funding Awarded for National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning Project
- Conor K. Ward | 23rd June 1930 - 18th July 2021
- Dr Lea David | Honorable Mention for the 2021 ASA Sociology of Human Rights Gordon Hirabayashi Book Award
- Sarah McAuley, UCD Social Policy and Sociology Student, Competing in Tokyo Olympic Games
- Prof Siniša Maleševic | Al Jazeera Balkans Interview on Paramilitary Violence During the Syrian War
- Prof Siniša Maleševic | Interview on Covid-19 and Nationalism in Croatia's 'Jutarnji list’
- Congratulations to Steven Loyal and Thomas Grund on their respective promotions to Professor
- Taha Yasseri | Using network analysis to understand and predict the Parliament’s Brexit Shenanigans | BMC Blog
- ‘Critical Exploration of Human Rights’ Conference – IELF Forum
- First Issue of 'Society' under Co-Editorship of UCD Sociology's Prof Andreas Hess Published
- IRC Funded Project | Elderly (non)migrants’ narratives of home: A comparative study of place-making in Ireland and Slovakia (EMNaH) | Dr Mastoureh Fathi
- Broadcasting Sociology | Student Podcasts and Videos on Sociological Topics
- Society | Liberal Communitarianism: an Interview with Amitai Etzioni at 92
- UCD-SAI Young Sociologist Competition Winners 2020/21!
- Pof Andreas Hess | UCD Sociology Professor appointed co-Editor-in Chief of Society journal
- HRB Funding Awarded to Two UCD Sociology Led Initiatives Examining Covid Impacts
- José Antonio Gutiérrez wins Máire De Paor Award for best Social Sciences PhD Thesis
- NewsTalk FM Talking History Podcast | The Bosnian War | Prof Siniša Malešević
- Book Launch | Classical and Contemporary Sociological Theory | Steven Loyal & Siniša Malešević
- New Books Network Podcast | The Past Can't Heal Us | Lea David Internview
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Colleges and COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland: Update
- Assoc. Prof. Taha Yasseri | Facebook and other social media are not to blame for filter bubbles, the problem of fragmentation is more fundamental
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Colleges and COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland: The 'Campus Experience" as Public Health Problem
- Prof Siniša Malešević | El Pais interview on the Spanis translation of 'The Rise of Organised Brutality'
- Prof Siniša Malešević | Grounded Nationalisms | Runner-up (honourable mention) in the 2020 Stein Rokkan Award
- Assoc Prof Mathew Creighton | Hidden versus revealed attitudes: A list experiment on support for minorities in Ireland
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Testing Times: Viral surveillance and social control in post-lockdown societies
- So what next: Becoming Anti-racist | Dr Alice Feldman in conversation with Dr Ebun Joseph
- Dr Lea David | We are at war: The rise of expert knowledge
- Opinion | Steven Loyal | Crèche Crisis in Ireland
- Opinion | Steven Loyal | Debenhams and its Workers - An Ominous New Normal?
- Book Launch | The Past Can't Heal Us: The Dangers of Mandating Memory in the Name of Human Rights by Dr Lea David
- Dr Egle Gusciute | Leaving the most vulnerable behind: Reflection on the Covid-19 pandemic and Direct Provision in Ireland
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Irish Covid-19 Testing Practices: Why They Matter. And Why They Don’t
- Purposeful solitude: reading Thoreau in a lockdown | Andreas Hess in Open Democracy
- Dr Seán L'Estrange | Irish Covid-19 Testing Practices: Claims and Evidence
- Coronavirus: European nations choose self-preservation over the Union | Siniša Malešević quoted in TRTWorld
- The Theorist of Belonging | Andreas Hess and Samantha Ashenden on Judith Shklar in Aeon
- Sociology Seminar Series | Rachel Ibreck | Law and Activism in Conflict: Lessons from South Sudan
- Sociology Seminar Series | Mastoureh Fathi | Photos of Home
- Prof Andreas Hess on Judith Shklar
Grounded Nationalisms is runner-up (honourable mention) in the 2020 Stein Rokkan Award
UCD Sociology's Prof Siniša Malešević's Grounded Nationalisms has been awarded runner-up (honourable mention) in the 2020 Stein Rokkan Award. The overall prize was awarded to The Wealth Effect: How the Great Expectations of the Middle Class Have Changed the Politics of Banking Crises by Prof. Jeffrey M. Chwieroth of the LSE.
The annual Stein Rokkan Prize for Comparative Social Science Research is presented by the International Science Council (ISC), the University of Bergen and theEuropean Consortium for Political Research (ECPR). The prize is open to works in comparative studies from all social science disciplines. It is given to a submission deemed by the Jury to be a substantial and original contribution in comparative social science research.
Grounded Natoinalisms: A Sociological Analysis was published in 2019 by Cambridge University Press.
Globalisation is not the enemy of nationalism; instead, as this book shows, the two forces have developed together through modern history. Malešević challenges dominant views which see nationalism as a declining social force. He explains why the recent escalations of populist nationalism throughout the world do not represent a social anomaly but are, in fact, a historical norm. By focusing on ever-increasing organisational capacity, greater ideological penetration and networks of micro-solidarity, Malešević shows how and why nationalism has become deeply grounded in the everyday life of modern human beings. The author explores the social dynamics of these grounded nationalisms via an analysis of varied contexts, from Ireland to the Balkans. His findings show that increased ideological diffusion and the rising coercive capacities of states and other organisations have enabled nationalism to expand and establish itself as the dominant operative ideology of modernity.