News and Events
- Another Record – Professor Da-Wen Sun Named Highly Cited Researcher in 8th Consecutive Year
- Research Output of Professor Da-Wen Sun Continues Topping UCD
- Two Papers by Professor Da-Wen Sun Among Most Downloaded and Cited in Last 3 Years
- In 7th Consecutive Year – Professor Da-Wen Sun Named 2021 Highly Cited Researcher
- PhD Student’s Paper Selected as “Editors’ Choice” Article
- First Research Paper and ACA Featured Article of Professor Da-Wen Sun on Terahertz Imaging Applications Published
- A New High in Successful CSC Applications
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Publishes Paper in Internationally Most Prestigious Journal (Impact Factor: 42.846)
- Six-Times Winner: Professor Da-Wen Sun Named Highly Cited Researcher Again
- 100% Success Rate for the Students of Professor Da-Wen Sun for Their CSC Scholarship Applications
- A Milestone — Professor Da-Wen Sun’s H-Index (Web of Science) Reaches 100
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Named Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate in the 5th Consecutive Year
- Chinese Senior Diplomats Visit UCD Food Engineering Laboratories
- Professor Da-Wen Sun tops the World Ranking in ESI Highly Cited Papers
- Seven Review Papers by Professor Da-Wen Sun Published in Issue 5 of Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition
- Computational Fluid Dynamics in Food Processing (Second Edition) by Professor Da-Wen Sun has been published!
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Named Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate in the 4th Consecutive Year
- Modern Techniques for Food Authentication (Second Edition) by Professor Da-Wen Sun has been published!
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Conferred with Certificate of Foreign Member of Polish Academy of Sciences
- Another Well-Deserved Honourable Distinction for Professor Da-Wen Sun, a World-Renowned Food Scientist
- "Computational Fluid Dynamics in Food Processing" (2nd Edition, 592 Pages) by Professor Da-Wen Sun Available Soon
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Conferred with Honorary Doctorate Degree from Peru 2018
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Elected Academician of International Academy of Refrigeration
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Presented with iAABE Founding President Gavel and iAABE Fellow Certificate
- Modern Techniques for Food Authentication 2018
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Elected as a Foreign Member of PAN 2017
- A fresh look at freezing foods: new technology to preserve nutrients 2017
- Professor Da-Wen Sun named as Highly Cited Researcher in the 3rd Year 2017
- UCD Professor Da-Wen Sun named highly cited researcher by Thomson Reuters in 2016
- Professor Da-Wen Sun has been elected the New President of the IAABE 2016
- Professor Da-Wen Sun given Title of CIGR Honorary President 2016
- Chinese Vice-Minister Tan Tianxing Visits UCD 2016
- Professor Da-Wen Sun named as 2015 Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher
- UCD Professor's Research Publications in Agricultural Sciences Ranked No.1 in the World 2015
- Three PhD Students Supervised by Professor Da-Wen Sun Passed Their PhD Vivas in September 2014
- UCD Professor Da-Wen Sun is awarded International Research Award in 2013
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Elected Fellow of IAFoST in 2012
- Chinese Ambassador to Ireland Pays Visit to Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2012
- Two New Handbooks Published by UCD Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2011
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Awarded Membership of Academia Europaea in 2011
- Senior Chinese Diplomats Pay Visit to Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2010
- Infrared Spectroscopy for Food Quality Analysis and Control by Professor Da-Wen Sun
- UCD Professor Da-Wen Sun Continues to Lead World Rankings in Agriculture Sciences in 2010
- Major Success in EU 7th Framework Funding by UCD Biosystems Engineering Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2010
- Professor Da-Wen Sun Elected President of International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering in 2010
- Highest honour Received by Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2010
- Major Research Funding Received by UCD Biosystems Engineering Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2009
- UCD Professor Da-Wen Sun Tops the World Rankings in Agriculture Sciences in 2008
- Professor Da-Wen Sun and His Student Receive Major International Awards in 2008
- Modern Techniques For Food Authentication 1st edition 2008
- Indian Minister Presents Award to Professor Da-Wen Sun in 2007
- UCD Professor Da-Wen Sun Appointed Editor-in-Chief of New International Journal in 2007
PhD Student’s Paper Selected as “Editors’ Choice” Article
Sunday, 31 October, 2021
A research paper entitled “Achieving joint calibration of soil Vis-NIR spectra across instruments, soil types and properties by an attention-based spectra encoding-spectra/property decoding architecture” by PhD Student Lei Tong and his supervisor Professor Da-Wen Sun, which was published in Geoderma (Volume 405, 1 January 2022, 115449), has been selected as “Editors’ Choice” article for October 2021. Geoderma is a top journal in soil science, which ranks 3rd position among the 37 journals in the soil science category in the Web of Science SCIE edition, with a 2020 impact factor of 6.115.
The recommendation of the Editor-in-Chief, Professor Budiman Minasny, reads: NIR spectroscopy application for soil characterisation has been an active research topic for more than a decade now. Soil spectra libraries from different regions have been compiled. One immediate problem is that different spectrometers produce different soil NIR spectral responses. This issue, while acknowledged, had not been well researched. Tong Lei and Da-Wen Sun from Agriculture and Food Science Centre, University College Dublin utilised a spectra encoding and decoding algorithm (an “attention-based model”) to solve this problem. They demonstrated that they can combine three spectra databases, each collected by a different instrument, to develop a joint calibration model.
The authors state that the major problem for soil Vis-NIR analysis is now solved: “training soil spectral data across different instruments, soil types and properties in one model to achieve joint calibration and analysis”. I look forward to a future application, "federated learning to soil Vis-NIR spectra research to implement an online joint calibration.”
A figure from the article will also form the banner of the journal Twitter account for the month of November 2021.
Lei Tong joined UCD in September 2018 as a PhD student under the supervision of Professor Da-Wen Sun in UCD School of Biosystems and Food Engineering with funding support from the UCD-CSC Scholarship Scheme. In his 4th year of PhD study, Lei Tong has already published six papers in peer-reviewed international journals:
- T. Lei and D.-W. Sun, Achieving Joint Calibration of Soil Vis-NIR Spectra Across Instruments, Soil Types and Properties by an Attention-Based Spectra Encoding-Spectra/Property Decoding Architecture, Geoderma, 405 (2022) 115449.
- T. Lei, B. Tobin, Z.-H. Liu, S.-Y. Yang and D.-W. Sun, A Terahertz Time-Domain Super-Resolution Imaging Method Using a Local-Pixel Graph Neural Network for Biological Products, Analytica Chimica Acta, 1181 (2021) 338898.
- T. Lei and D.-W. Sun, A Novel NIR Spectral Calibration Method: Sparse Coefficients Wavelength Selection and Regression (SCWR), Analytica Chimica Acta, 1110 (2020) 169-180.
- T. Lei, X.-H. Lin and D.-W. Sun, Rapid Classification of Commercial Cheddar Cheeses from Different Brands Using PLSDA, LDA and SPA-LDA Models Built by Hyperspectral Data, Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 13  (2019) 3119-3129.
- T. Lei and D.-W. Sun, Developments of Nondestructive Techniques for Evaluating Quality Attributes of Cheeses: A Review, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 88 (2019) 527-542.
- Y. Ren, X. Lin, T. Lei and D.-W. Sun, Recent Developments in Vibrational Spectral Analyses for Dynamically Assessing and Monitoring Food Dehydration Processes, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, (2022) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2021.1947773.
The paper Achieving joint calibration of soil Vis-NIR spectra across instruments, soil types and properties by an attention-based spectra encoding-spectra/property decoding architecture, Geoderma, Volume 405, 1 January 2022, 115449 can be downloaded free of charge by clicking here. You can access “October 2021 Editors' Choice” of Geoderma by clicking here.