Poetry Ireland/Austin Clarke Collection
UCD Library Special Collections holds the Poetry Ireland Collection, which includes the personal library of leading Irish poet Austin Clarke.View a listing of the Austin Clarke Collectionpdf|1.9 mb
- Poetry Ireland or Éigse Éireann is an organisation dedicated to developing, supporting and promoting poetry throughout Ireland.
- Poetry Ireland has transferred to UCD Library, on deposit, a collection of books including the library of Austin Clarke and some books formerly owned by the poets John Jordan and Tanya Touwen.
- The collection consists of over 5000 volumes, the majority of which were owned by Austin Clarke.
- Clarke’s personal library contains works of poetry, prose, drama, literary criticism and biography.
- The collection’s main value is the insight it gives into the author’s interests and influences.
- Material from this collection formed the basis of and provided the sources for an Irish Virtual Research Library and Archive (IVRLA) research project entitled ‘Austin Clarke at the Poetry Ireland Library.’
- Austin Clarke (1896-1974), was a literary journalist, dramatist, novelist and broadcaster.
- Clarke is best remembered as a leading Irish poet of the 20th century.
- Clarke’s poetry is distinguished by his novel use of Gaelic rhythms and for its perceptive social commentary.
- His book collection is a valuable resource in the further study of his poetry and an example of the interests and tastes of Irish literary men of the 20th century.
Access and Use
- The collections can be consulted by the students and staff of UCD, and by external users, in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Note: Part of the Austin Clarke Collection is on display in cases on Level 2 of the James Joyce Library. If you would like to look at any item from the collection it can be requested from Special Collections.
- UCD Archives holds the Poetry Ireland papers.
Find material in the collection:
- Use The Library Catalogue to key in Austin Clarke
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel
Find information on Austin Clarke in the Dictionary of Irish Biography (UCD only).
Find information on Austin Clarke in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (UCD only).