Maps in Special Collections
UCD Library Special Collections holds a significant collection of historical maps.List of Maps and Atlases in Special Collectionspdf|316 kb
Highlights of the historical maps collection include:
- Maps of Ireland by Ortelius dating from the 16th century
- Several 18th century maps of Dublin by John Roque
- 19th century Ordnance Survey 1st edition maps of the counties.
UCD Library also holds a collection of facsimile historical maps in Richview Library.
Ancillary Printed Resources on Maps: Monographs
- Petty W., 1851. The history of the survey of Ireland: commonly called the Down survey. Dublin: Archaeological Society.Classmark: HSM 941.500002/IRI
- Law, A. B., 1997. The printed maps of Ireland 1612-1850. Dublin: Neptune Gallery. Classmark:Reference 016.942/LAW
- Andrews, J.H., 2002. A paper landscape, the Ordnance Survey in 19th century Ireland 2nd edition. Dublin: Four Courts. Classmark:GEN 941.415/AND and SCR 941.415/AND
- Andrews, J.H., 1985. Plantation acres: an historical study of the Irish land surveyor and his maps. Belfast:Ulster historical foundation. Classmark: GEN 912
- Doherty, G., 2004. The Irish ordnance survey: history, culture and memory. Dublin: Four Courts. Classmark:GEN 912.415/DOH
- Nolan, W. , Simms, A. ed. 1998. Irish towns: a guide to sources. Dublin: Geography Publications. Classmark:HSM 941.50002/IRI and Reference 911.415/IRI
- Wallis, W., McConnell, A., ed. 1994. Historians' guide to early British maps: a guide to the location of pre-1900 maps of the British Isles preserved in the United Kingdom and Ireland. London: Royal Historical Society. Classmark:HSM 942.0002/ROY
- Prunty, J. 1994. Maps and map-making in local history. Dublin: Four Courts. Classmark:GEN 912/PRU (James Joyce Library) and GEN 912.09415/PRU (Architecture)
Irish Directories and Topographical Sources
- Wilson, W. 1784. The Post Chaise companion or a traveler’s directory through Ireland.Dublin: J. & J. H. Fleming. Classmark: 25.G.23
- Leet, A. 1814. A Directory to the market towns, gentlemens’ seats in Ireland,. Dublin: Brett Smith. Classmark: 8.F.22
- Lewis, S., 1840. Topographical Dictionary of IrelandLondon: S. Lewis. Classmark: 19.D.5-8
- Fullerton, A. 1846. Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland. Dublin: A. Fullerton. Classmark: 29.B.17
- Slater, I. 1846. I Manchester: Slater.Classmark: 28.G.15
- Thom’s Commercial Directory for Ireland.Dublin:Thoms Directories.
- 1844 - 50 held in Special Collections at 15.N.1-6
- 1851 held in Store Reference at 380.09415 THO
Access and Use
The collections can be consulted by the students and staff of UCD, and by external users, in the Special Collections Reading Room.