John Lincoln Sweeney Collection
John and Máire MacNeill Sweeney
UCD Library Special Collections holds the Sweeney Collection, a collection of almost 2,000 books previously owned by John Lincoln Sweeney.
- A rich collection of 20th century English, Anglo-Irish and American literature in first and early editions, limited editions and signed copies.
- Bequeathed in 1987 by Máire Mac Néill.
- Many of the books in this collection were sent to Sweeney as personal gifts from the authors, occasionally including letters. Sweeney’s correspondence is available in UCD Archives along with that of his wife.
John Lincoln Sweeney (Jack) was curator of the Woodberry Poetry Room at Harvard University and was acquainted with many American writers of the mid 20th century.
Access and Use
The collections can be consulted by the students and staff of UCD, and by external users, in the Special Collections Reading Room.
Find material in the collection:
- Use The Library Catalogue to key in John Sweeney
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel