John Lincoln Sweeney Collection
- Catholic University of Ireland Collection
- Curran-Laird Book Collection
- Eamon de Valera Collection
- Franciscan Collection
- Keith Freeman Collection
- John Richard Green Collection
- Joseph Hassett Collection
- Thomas Johnson Collection
- Thomas Kinsella Collection
- John McCormack Collection
- John Manning Collection
- Maps in Special Collections
- David Nolan Collection
- Dennis O'Driscoll Collection
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Books
- Francis J. O’Kelley Collection
- Charles Hubert Oldham Collection
- Christopher Palles Collection
- Poetry Ireland/Austin Clarke Collection
- Canon Patrick Power Collection
- Pádraig Puirséal Collection
- Dr. John Satchell Rake Yeats Collection
- Royal College of Science for Ireland Collection
- Royal University of Ireland Collection
- Clement King Shorter Collection
- John Lincoln Sweeney Collection
- Heinrich Zimmer Collection
- Named Collections
- A Gallery of Print Images
John and Máire MacNeill Sweeney
UCD Library Special Collections holds the Sweeney Collection, a collection of almost 2,000 books previously owned by John Lincoln Sweeney.
- A rich collection of 20th century English, Anglo-Irish and American literature in first and early editions, limited editions and signed copies.
- Bequeathed in 1987 by Máire Mac NeillSweeney.
- Many of the books in this collection were sent to Sweeney as personal gifts from the authors, occasionally including letters.
- This correspondence, along with that of Máire MacNeill Sweeney, is available in UCD Archives.
John Lincoln Sweeney (1906 – 1986, known as Jack) was a scholar, critic, art collector and poet. Educated at Georgetown and Cambridge universities, in 1942 he was appointed curator of Harvard Library’s Poetry Room; curator of the Farnsworth Room in 1945; and Subject Specialist in English Literature in 1947. In 1949, Sweeney married Máire MacNeill (1904 – 1987), a folklorist and scholar at the recently founded Irish Folklore Commission. A graduate of UCD, MacNeill’s early research specialised on the study of Lughnasa, the Irish harvest festival. After their marriage, MacNeill was a Visiting Lecturer in Irish folklore at Harvard. After Jack’s retirement, the Sweeney’s returned to Ireland, living near Corofin, Co. Clare.
Following Jack’s death in 1986, Máire bequeathed their book collection to UCD, along with other papers in UCD Archives, which were transferred following her own death in 1987. An additional bequest was made to the National Gallery of Ireland in the same year, comprising of fifteen paintings and drawings by Irish and international artists.
Access and Use
- The material in this collection is available by appointment to students, teaching staff, and independent researchers. We also welcome interested members of the public.
- Please contact us at email@example.com for further information. To book an appointment click here.
Find material in the collection:
- Use The Library Catalogue to key in John Sweeney
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel