Royal College of Science for Ireland Collection
- Catholic University of Ireland Collection
- Curran-Laird Book Collection
- Eamon de Valera Collection
- Franciscan Collection
- Keith Freeman Collection
- John Richard Green Collection
- Joseph Hassett Collection
- Thomas Johnson Collection
- Thomas Kinsella Collection
- John McCormack Collection
- John Manning Collection
- Maps in Special Collections
- David Nolan Collection
- Dennis O'Driscoll Collection
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Books
- Francis J. O’Kelley Collection
- Charles Hubert Oldham Collection
- Christopher Palles Collection
- Poetry Ireland/Austin Clarke Collection
- Canon Patrick Power Collection
- Pádraig Puirséal Collection
- Dr. John Satchell Rake Yeats Collection
- Royal College of Science for Ireland Collection
- Royal University of Ireland Collection
- Clement King Shorter Collection
- John Lincoln Sweeney Collection
- Heinrich Zimmer Collection
- Named Collections
- A Gallery of Print Images
UCD Special Collections holds the library of the Royal College of Science for Ireland Library, which includes the library of the Museum of Irish Industry.
- The library of the Royal College of Science for Ireland (RCScI) is one of the most comprehensive Victorian science libraries in the UK and Ireland.
- It contains rare scientific monographs from the 17th to the 19th centuries and earlier, and complete runs of periodicals which are not to be found in any other Irish library.
- UCD can trace many of its chairs in the sciences back to this institution, which had an enormous impact on the democratisation of science education in Ireland.
- The library of the RCScI forms part UCD’s documentary heritage.
- Examination of the RCScI material demonstrates the breath of subjects taught in that institution.
- Many items within the collection contain very beautiful plates of illustrations.
- The Anatomy of Plants by Nehemiah Grew, published in 1682.
- Zoologia medicinalis Hibernica by John K’Eogh printed in Dublin in 1739.
- Essays towards a natural History of the County of Dublin by John Rutty printed in Dublin in 1772.
- Journals of the Royal Botanical Gardens of Calcutta.
- Full set of the Reports of the Department of Science and Art.
- 1860 edition of Darwin’s On the origin of Species.
- 47 volumes of the Report of the Scientific Results of the Exploring Voyage of H.M.S. Challenger 1873-16, most of which are related to zoology, but botany; physics and chemistry are also covered.
- Les Arts au Moyen Age by Alexander Du Sommerard, which cost £57 in 1854, includes an atlas of 107 plates and an album with 402 plates.
- Catalogues of the various industrial exhibitions
- Important scientific journals from the Victorian era and beyond, which are not available elsewhere in Ireland or online:
- Magazine of Natural History 1855-1906
- British Association Report, 1850-1922
- Journal of the Geological Society of London, 1845-1914
- Journal of the Linnean Society, 1857-1907
- Annuaire de l’economie politique, 1844-1899
- Other RCScI periodicals which are available elsewhere but are nonetheless an important asset to UCD:
- Proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society, 1851-1913
- American Journal of Science and Art, 1853-1920
Access and Use
- The material in this collection is available by appointment to students, teaching staff, and independent researchers. We also welcome interested members of the public.
- Please contact us at (opens in a new window)firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. To book an appointment (opens in a new window)click here.
Find material in the collection:
- Use (opens in a new window)The Library Catalogue to key in Royal College of Science
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel