Royal University of Ireland Collection
- Catholic University of Ireland Collection
- Curran-Laird Book Collection
- Eamon de Valera Collection
- Franciscan Collection
- Keith Freeman Collection
- John Richard Green Collection
- Joseph Hassett Collection
- Thomas Johnson Collection
- Thomas Kinsella Collection
- John McCormack Collection
- John Manning Collection
- Maps in Special Collections
- David Nolan Collection
- Dennis O'Driscoll Collection
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Books
- Francis J. O’Kelley Collection
- Charles Hubert Oldham Collection
- Christopher Palles Collection
- Poetry Ireland/Austin Clarke Collection
- Canon Patrick Power Collection
- Pádraig Puirséal Collection
- Dr. John Satchell Rake Yeats Collection
- Royal College of Science for Ireland Collection
- Royal University of Ireland Collection
- Clement King Shorter Collection
- John Lincoln Sweeney Collection
- Heinrich Zimmer Collection
- Named Collections
- A Gallery of Print Images
UCD holds the collection of the Royal University of Ireland, 1880-1909.
The Royal University was a degree awarding body which operated in what is now Newman house on St. Stephen’s green between 1880 and 1909. It was succeeded by the National University of Ireland in 1909. It awarded degrees to University College, Dublin with which it was collocated on St Stephen’s Green as well as to other colleges and schools. University College was the successor to the Catholic University, established by Cardinal Newman. From 1882, it was administered by the Jesuits.
The examinations and the awarding of degrees were carried out by the fellows (teachers) of University College on behalf of the Royal University.
The books from the Royal University which remain in UCD’s collection were said to be the books used predominately by the examiners of the Royal University and also by its graduates, but not its students.
The Royal University books are predominantly in the areas of classics, philosophy, history, literature and mathematics. Presently, there are circa 300 books identified as having Royal University stamps but we are continuing to find more as work on the collection continues. The books are held in the SC Store collection.
Access and Use
- The material in this collection is available by appointment to students, teaching staff, and independent researchers. We also welcome interested members of the public.
- Please contact us at email@example.com for further information. To book an appointment click here.
Find material in the collection:
- Use The Library Catalogue to key in Royal University of Ireland
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel