Charles Hubert Oldham Collection
- Catholic University of Ireland Collection
- Curran-Laird Book Collection
- Eamon de Valera Collection
- Franciscan Collection
- Keith Freeman Collection
- John Richard Green Collection
- Joseph Hassett Collection
- Thomas Johnson Collection
- Thomas Kinsella Collection
- John McCormack Collection
- John Manning Collection
- Maps in Special Collections
- David Nolan Collection
- Dennis O'Driscoll Collection
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Books
- Francis J. O’Kelley Collection
- Charles Hubert Oldham Collection
- Christopher Palles Collection
- Poetry Ireland/Austin Clarke Collection
- Canon Patrick Power Collection
- Pádraig Puirséal Collection
- Dr. John Satchell Rake Yeats Collection
- Royal College of Science for Ireland Collection
- Royal University of Ireland Collection
- Clement King Shorter Collection
- John Lincoln Sweeney Collection
- Heinrich Zimmer Collection
- Named Collections
- A Gallery of Print Images
Charles Hubert Oldham
UCD Library Special Collections holds the collection of Charles Hubert Oldham.
This collection of books is mostly late 19th century and related to areas such as history, geography, economics, law and literature. They are often heavily annotated by Oldham and some will also have news clippings inserted. Presently, there are circa 300 books identified as having been in the library of C.H. Oldham but we are continuing to find more as work on the collection continues. The original donation contained 3000 items. The books are held in the SC Store collection.
Charles Hubert Oldham was born in Monkstown in 1859. He was a TCD Law scholar and lecturer in Mathematics. He was also editor of the TCD journal The Dublin University Review which was multidisciplinary and published the work of W.B. Yeats and Douglas Hyde. He was a nationalist and was a founder member of the Irish Protestant Home Rule Association which was established in 1886. He became professor of Commerce in UCD in 1909 and in 1917 professor of National Economics. His book collection, which is held in UCD Library, reflects the diversity of his interests, achievements and ideas.
For more information please see the Dictionary of Irish Biography.
Access and Use
The collections can be consulted by the students and staff of UCD, and by external users, in the Special Collections Reading Room.
This collection was purchased in 1926.
- Use The Library Catalogue to key in Charles Hubert Oldham
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel