John Manning Collection
The cover of "Not out: a story of school life" by Kent Carr
UCD Library Special Collections holds late 19th and early 20th century children’s books in the John Manning collection.
- The John Manning collection of children's books contains ca. 300 titles.
- The books are mainly by English and Irish authors.
- Most of the editions are published between the 1870s and 1920s.
- It contains many Boy’s Own and Girl’s Own magazines.
- This collection was donated by Dubliner John Manning between 1977 and 1984.
- It formed the basis and provided sources for a research project entitled ‘Irish women writers of children’s literature’ which is available via the UCD Digital Library.
Access and Use
The collections can be consulted by the students and staff of UCD, and by external users, in the Special Collections Reading Room.
Find material in the collection:
- Use The Library Catalogue to key in John Manning
- When you get a results screen select Special Collections from Location option in the left panel