Information for students who have applied for Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) for 2022/23
The Student Grant Scheme is the main financial support available for eligible students attending full-time programmes at UCD. It is overseen by the Department of Education and Skills and is administered by SUSI. All new applicants to the Scheme apply to SUSI only.
Please click here for information regarding renewal applications.
Please click here for information regarding new applications.
If you have any queries regarding these application dates please contact SUSI directly.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your grant application, whether renewal or first time, is complete and fully submitted to SUSI within the deadline.
Further details on the Student Grant Scheme, including how to check eligibility and how to apply, are available on the Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) website at www.susi.ie
The Grant Process - How it works
SUSI Grant Holders
- This section applies to first time SUSI applicants and returning applicants who have re-applied to SUSI to renew a grant
- If you have been offered a place in UCD and have applied to SUSI for a grant you will be asked to input your 13 digit SUSI application code in the Personal details section of the registration process when you go online to register
- If you are a SUSI Grant Holder you do not need to notify UCD of your grant approval status. SUSI will notify UCD directly if you are eligible for a grant, whether first-time or renewal
- If your SUSI grant application is approved, SUSI will notify UCD which will allow Administrative Services to credit your account for the approved amount. An invoice for those fees will then be issued to SUSI for payment
- When SUSI has paid this fee to UCD, and where a refund may be due (for example, if you have already paid some or all of your fees), this will be automatically processed
Entitlement to a Grant
For further information about entitlement to a SUSI Grant, Rates of Grants and Grants Means Testing, please visit the SUSI website at www.susi.ie
Notification to the University of Grant Entitlement
If you are a SUSI grant applicant you will not need to notify UCD of your grant approval status. SUSI will notify UCD directly. However, if you have been offered a place in UCD and have applied to SUSI for a grant you will be asked for your 13 digit Alpha numeric SUSI number in the Personal details section of the registration process when you go online to register.
What must I pay?
Please note that SUSI does not cover the Student Centre Levy of €254 and all students are liable for this amount. Also, depending on the rate of grant awarded, it may not cover the full Student Contribution Charge for Undergraduate Students, the Tuition Fees for Post-Graduate Students, or other fees not covered by SUSI.
As an incoming student registering to a full-time undergraduate programme who has made an application for SUSI and whose tuition fees are fully covered by the Free Fees Initiative, you should pay a minimum of one third of the Student Centre Levy by 25 September 2022. The remaining two thirds of the Student Centre Levy should be paid by 31 January 2023.
A continuing undergraduate student whose tuition fees are fully covered by the Free Fees Initiative should pay a minimum of one third of the Student Centre Levy plus one third of any other fees and charges not covered by the SUSI grant by 25 September 2022. The remaining two thirds of the Student Centre Levy and the balance of charges are due by 31 January 2023.
A post-graduate student should pay a minimum of one third of the Student Centre Levy plus one third of any other fees and charges not covered by the SUSI grant by the following dates: 25 September 2022, 31 January 2023 and 14 May 2023. Please note: These payment dates are subject to the start of your academic year.
The Student Centre Levy for2022-2023is €254.
If you have registered to a full-time post-graduate programme, have already paid a deposit towards your fees and have registered for a programme where the total tuition fee will be paid by SUSI, you do not need to pay the Student Centre Levy as the deposit will cover this payment.
Further information can be found on our Student Contribution Charge and Student Centre Levy web page.
Refunds - Student Grant Holders
If you are entitled to a refund of fees paid, due to your grant approval, it will be automatically processed after UCD has received the fee payment from SUSI.
SUSI Grant FAQs
Other Funding Available to Graduate Research Students
On academic merit:
- Irish Research Council
- Remission of tuition fees for holders of IRC Awards - please note that you must pay the student levy and any additional costs not covered by the grant
- Tutor/ Demonstrator Fee Concession (for those working as tutors or demonstrators for a minimum of 6 hours a week in term). This must be certified by the Head of School