What is this Structured Elective about?
No matter what discipline you are studying in UCD, an understanding of the core business principles will enhance your overall education and career prospects after graduation. The Business Fundamental Structured Elective enables you to expand your learning by choosing a combination of modules that explore the key concepts and issues in business studies across a range of disciplines helping you to understand the interdisciplinary nature of business studies and its impact on society. This structured elective aims to equip you with the skills needed for assessing and evaluating business opportunities in any industry you are interested in working in later on.
Why should I take this Structured Elective?
The modules available on this structured elective pathway will provide an insight into some of the core areas of business (management, marketing, accounting, etc) and will give students an understanding of the key concepts and issues in the business environment.
This Structured Elective is aimed at non-business students in UCD, who have an interest or curiosity about business studies. It will help shape your understanding of how actions and beliefs influence the business world around us and also how these business practices impact on society.
You will also have the opportunity to develop the tools and techniques required to assist in making informed business decisions by engaging with some of the more quantitative modules (accounting and management information systems). These are skills that will benefit students in any industry they ultimately choose to work in after graduation.
The Business Fundamental Structured Elective may complement your ongoing studies or allow you to explore some of your own personal interests outside of your degree. Whatever the reason, this Structured Elective will give you knowledge and skills that will be not only useful to you now but will also help you to succeed in the future.
This structured elective is not available to students on full-time business programmes.
How do I take the modules in this Structured Elective?
- In order to earn this Structured Elective you must register to and pass three of the specified modules in or after 2021/22.
- To receive this Structured Elective you must take the recommended modules as Elective modules and not as Core or Option modules.
- You can complete these modules in any order you wish throughout your programme.
- You do not need to register for this Structured Elective in advance, it will be awarded when you complete 15 credits during your studies.
- Students who successfully complete 15 credits in Business Fundamentals will have this noted on their final UCD degree transcript. The transcript will state that you have completed 'Structured Elective in Business Fundamentals', in addition to your main degree subjects.
- No guarantee is given to you that it will be possible to take 15 credits from the outset, this will depend on module places being available and on the exigencies of the timetable.