What is this Structured Elective about?
This Structured Elective provides you with the fundamental mathematical concepts and techniques which form the basic language and tools of large parts of modern science.
Why should I take this Structured Elective?
With the rise of high-powered computational tools and data science, scientific inquiry in the 21st century is increasingly based on, or supplemented by, mathematical models.
Furthermore mathematical modelling and problem-solving skills are much sought after by employers. This Structured Elective will provide you with these skills and will give you familiarity with many of the quantitative methods used in modern science.
How would this Structured Elective benefit me?
The Sciences are becoming increasingly computational and mathematical. Modelling and simulation using the concepts of modern mathematics play a major role in current scientific research inside and outside academic. This structured elective will incentivize students, particularly those in the life sciences, to develop their mathematical skills and understanding of modern methods and applications of mathematics.
How do I take the modules in this Structured Elective?
- In order to earn this Structured Elective you must take the specified modules in or after 2014/15.
- To receive this Structured Elective you must take the required modules as Elective modules and not as Core or Option modules.
- You need to complete three modules to achieve the required credits for this Structured Elective. You must complete at least one of MST20070 and MATH20290 and at least one of MST20050 and MATH20260
- You do not need to register for this Structured Elective in advance, it will be awarded when you complete 15 credits during your studies.
- No guarantee is given to you that it will be possible to take 15 credits from the outset, this will depend on module places being available and on the exigencies of the timetable.
|MATH 20290||Multivariable Calculus for Eng||5|
|MST 20070||Multivariable Calculus with Apps||5|
|MATH 20260||Mathematics of Google||5|
|MST 20050||Linear Algebra II||5|
|ACM 10070||Math Modelling in the Sciences||5|
|ACM 20030||Computational Science||5|
|MATH 20270||Theory of Games||5|