- Prestigious award for UCD team tackling stillbirth prevention
- Major milestone on Ireland’s journey into space
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2022
- University College Dublin Engineering Spin-out Shortlisted for Ireland Leg of the 2022 KPMG Global Tech Innovator Competition
- Irish Government invests in 47 projects to engage and inspire the public about STEM
- Irish-led international education project to grow understanding of the bioeconomy in society
- €16m energy system research partnership to decarbonise energy sector
- Home retrofits may need to be re-done in ten years, Oireachtas committee hears
- UCD spin-out PlasmaBound completes €2.35m funding round
- 2022 News
- 2021 News Archive
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
- Building the State
- A Centenary Celebration
UCD College of Engineering and Architecture – Autumn Trimester 2020
Thursday, 13 August, 2020
As an incoming or continuing student of the UCD College of Engineering and Architecture, we want to welcome you and outline our plans and to reassure you that your education and wellbeing remains our top priority.
The College of Engineering & Architecture, has agreed details of how teaching, learning and assessment will be conducted for the coming Autumn Trimester, in line with university and public health guidance.
The Trimester will start on Monday, 21 September 2020 for all students except first years. First year students will start on 28 September 2020. Orientation for undergraduate first years will take place in the week of 21 September 2020.
For the Autumn Trimester across the College, students will have a mix of online, blended and face-to-face classes, studios, labs and tutorials with variations depending on subjects and stages.
The aim is to give you the best possible campus and blended learning experience, and the College considers face-to-face interaction between students, and between students and faculty, as integral elements of your learning journey. While the national response to COVID-19 presents challenges in maintaining this experience, we seek to ensure that our students’ access and use our campus and our wonderful buildings to the greatest extent possible.
The College has adopted the following general teaching and assessment principles for the 2020 Autumn Trimester:
- For many modules, lectures will be delivered face to face with the number of students in class determined by public health restrictions. Lectures will be recorded. Because of constraints on the use of space due to COVID-19, a number of modules will be online only.
- Tutorials will be face to face where possible, subject to the constraints of social distancing.
- Laboratories and Studio sessions will be face to face where possible, subject to the constraints of social distancing.
- In some instances, pre- laboratory preparation by students may be required, assisted by video support materials made available in advance.
- There will be no exams in the RDS in December 2020. Any end of trimester exams will be online. There will be more emphasis on continuous assessment. Please consult module descriptors to see what form assessment will take. Once you have registered for your modules, you will be able to view each of the module descriptors for your programme of study via SIS Web.
The situation, as you know, is evolving and we will keep you informed as we draw closer to September and the public health situation position is clearer.
If you have any queries the most efficient way to reach us is via the student connector which you can access here.
This information is subject to change. University College Dublin follows the prevailing national and public health COVID-19 guidelines and if the public health position changes, the College of Engineering and Architecture will implement revised teaching scenarios accordingly.