Caroline Walsh Papers
- Arnold Bax Collection
- Beranger Watercolours
- Maeve Binchy Papers
- Cartlann na gCanúintí
- Curran-Laird Collection
- Patrick Ferriter Manuscripts
- Eva Gore-Booth Papers
- Maurice Harmon Papers
- Irish Academy of Letters
- Irish Poetry Reading Archive
- Kavanagh Archive
- Mary Lavin Papers
- William Lover Papers
- Dubhaltach Mac Firbisigh
- Riobard Mac Góráin Collection
- Frank McGuinness Papers
- Tom MacIntyre Papers
- Gerard Manley Hopkins Letters
- Henry Morris Manuscripts
- Henry Morris Manuscripts: Additional Manuscripts
- Henry Morris Papers
- Henry Morris Correspondence
- Edna O'Brien Papers
- OBrien Lam Collection
- Eugene O’Curry Manuscripts
- Annie O'Donnell Letters
- John O’Donovan/William Reeves Correspondence
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Manuscripts
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Letters
- Seán Ó Riordáin
- Return of the Native
- UCD Additional Irish Manuscripts
- UCD Library Building Papers
- UCD Manuscripts
- Sture Ureland Collection
- Caroline Walsh Papers
- History of Irish Medicine and Popular Cures by William Wilde
- Yeats’ Festschrift Collection
- Our Collection of Modern Literary Papers
- Our Collection of Manuscripts
- A Gallery of Archival Images
UCD Library holds the papers of writer and journalist Caroline Walsh.
Reference code IE/UCD/SC/ML
Caroline Walsh Papers.
Level of Description
Caroline Walsh (1952-2011).
- Caroline Walsh was born on December 1st, 1952, one of three daughters to solicitor William Walsh (-1954) and writer Mary Lavin (1912-1996).
- She was a student at University College Dublin completing both a BA in English and Art History in 1973, and later an MA in American Literature in 1974.
- She was a journalist with the Irish Times from 1975 onwards, becoming their Literary Editor in 1999.
- She was the author of The Homes of Irish Writers and edited three collections of short stories: Modern Irish Short Stories from The Irish Times, Virgins and Hyacinths and Arrows in Flight: Stories from a New Ireland.
- Caroline was married to novelist and university lecturer, James Ryan.
Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated by James Ryan in 2015 with further materials added in 2016.
Scope and Content
This collection contains papers relating to Caroline Walsh’s career as a journalist and writer and is divided into four series as follows:
- Material related to Walsh’s Literary Landmarks articles for the Irish Times
- Research notes and drafts regarding her book The Homes of Irish Writers
- Dissociated material
- Cassette tapes of interviews with Irish writers
Access and Use
- The material in this collection is available by appointment to students, teaching staff, and independent researchers. We also welcome interested members of the public.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. To book an appointment click here.
Photocopying or digital photographing of this material is not permitted.