Henry Morris Manuscripts
UCD Library Special Collections holds the manuscripts collected by Henry Morris.Lámhscríbhinní Uí Mhuirgheasa: gearrliosta seiceálapdf|254 kb
Reference code IE/ UCD/SC/Morris Ms
Henry Morris Manuscripts.
Level of Description
Henry Morris (Énrí Ó Muirgheasa) (1874-1945).
- Henry Morris or Énrí Ó Muirgheasa was born in Co. Monaghan.
- He was a teacher and subsequently a school inspector for the Department of Education.
- He was involved in the revival of Irish language and antiquarian studies.
- He is best known for recordings of oral tradition and folklore in Irish in the North Louth and South Armagh area during the 1940s.
- He was also a collector of 18th and 19th century Irish manuscripts.
- He was awarded an honorary MA from Queen’s University Belfast in 1936.
Source of Acquisition
Deposited in UCD by Frank Morris, nephew of Henry Morris.
Scope and Content
- Manuscripts containing catechisms, religious tracts, prose, songs and poems, Ossianic material from northern poets written by various scribes from the north-eastern part of Ireland and collected by Morris.
- Manuscript 7 contains prose tales written in 1732 by scribe Padraig ó Pronntaigh, mhic Néill etc.
- Manuscript 12 is a copy of Keating’s Foras Feasa ar Eireann by the scribe Aodh Ó Néill of Newry.
Access and Use
The materials in this collection are available by appointment only to research students, teaching staff and scholars. Research students should have a letter of recommendation from their supervisor.
Photocopying or digital photographing of this material is not permitted.
Mainly in Irish.
The material is listed online in Sources: A National Library of Ireland database for Irish research. This search tool is the online version of "Hayes, Richard J. (1965) Manuscript Sources for the History of Irish Civilisation, Boston: Hall", also available in James Joyce Library, Level 2, Ref GR 016/091.
Morris described 17 of these manuscripts in Morris manuscripts, an article in Irisleabhar na Gaedhilge 1904–1905
Find information on Henry Morris in the Dictionary of Irish Biography.
Meidhbhín Ní Úrdail, 'Lámhscríbhinní Uí Mhuirgheasa: foinsí luachmhara an léinn dúchais in Ultaibh', Léachtaí Cholm Cille 51 (2021), 22–58.