UCD Library Building Papers
- Arnold Bax Collection
- Beranger Watercolours
- Maeve Binchy Papers
- Cartlann na gCanúintí
- Constantine Curran Collection
- Patrick Ferriter Manuscripts
- Eva Gore-Booth Papers
- Maurice Harmon Papers
- Irish Academy of Letters
- Irish Poetry Reading Archive
- Kavanagh Archive
- Mary Lavin Papers
- William Lover Papers
- Dubhaltach Mac Firbisigh
- Riobard Mac Góráin Collection
- Frank McGuinness Papers
- Tom MacIntyre Papers
- Gerard Manley Hopkins Letters
- Henry Morris Manuscripts
- Henry Morris Manuscripts: Additional Manuscripts
- Henry Morris Papers
- Henry Morris Correspondence
- Edna O'Brien Papers
- OBrien Lam Collection
- Eugene O’Curry Manuscripts
- Annie O'Donnell Letters
- John O’Donovan/William Reeves Correspondence
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Manuscripts
- Colm Ó Lochlainn Letters
- Seán Ó Riordáin
- Return of the Native
- UCD Additional Irish Manuscripts
- UCD Library Building Papers
- UCD Manuscripts
- Sture Ureland Collection
- Caroline Walsh Papers
- History of Irish Medicine and Popular Cures by William Wilde
- Yeats’ Festschrift Collection
- Our Collection of Modern Literary Papers
- Our Collection of Manuscripts
- A Gallery of Archival Images
UCD Library Special Collections holds the Building Papers for UCD Library.
Reference code IE/ UCD/SC/LIB
UCD Library Building Papers.
Level of Description
- In 1959, it was recommended by a Government Commission that UCD should move to a new campus at Belfield, south of Dublin City.
The move began in the early 1960s with an architectural competition to create a new campus. A young polish architect, Andrzei Wejchert, was the winner.
- Planning and construction of the new campus continued in the late 60s and early 70s and phase 1 of the new library building, designed by the Scottish firm Hardie Glover, was operational by 1973.
- Phase 2 of the library plan was delayed due to funding constraints and was not finally completed until 1986.
Source of Acquisition
Librarian’s Office, James Joyce Library, 2008.
Content and Structure
- UCD Earlsfort Terrace draft plans (1912–14)
- UCD Architectural Competition Registers (1960s)
- Phase 1 and Phase 2 library building plans (1958–1986?)
- Architectural drawings, internal furniture and book stack designs (1960s–1980s)
- Tender and transfer documents (1960s–1980s)
- Research material regarding other university libraries and public libraries (1960s–1980s)
- Photographs of the Library, staff and students (1991–2001?)
- Photograph of the first class of librarians at UCD to receive diplomas (1929)
- Correspondence concerning architectural competition, architects plans and An Chomhairle Leabharlanna (1960s–1980s)
Access and Use
The materials in this collection are available by appointment only to research students, reaching staff and scholars. Research students should have a letter of recommendation from their supervisor.
Photocopying or digital photographing of this material is not permitted.