- UCD-led space project receives over €7.9m from Disruptive Technologies Innovation Fund
- UCD Researchers awarded over €4m in ERC grants for Biomedical Engineering and Political Economy projects
- Highly Cited: Professor Da-Wen Sun & Professor Paula Bourke listed amongst 2023’s most influential researchers
- ESTEEM Graduate Programme
- Electrical Engineering Class of 1968
- €257,000 allocated to 24 UCD projects in STEM Challenge Fund
- ERC Starting Grants Awarded to UCD Researchers in Humanities and Engineering
- Prof Niall English receives ERC Advanced Grant to optimise nanobubble technology for diverse end applications
- ERC Proof of Concept Grant for UCD Researcher exploring macromolecular crowding in cell culture systems
- SDG Academy and University College Dublin launch new Master’s Pathway in Foundations of Sustainable Development
- Engineers Ireland Accreditation May 31st 2023
- UCD researcher receives ERC funding to unlock insights into pig-to-human heart transplants
- Biomedical Engineering Innovator Receives 2023 NovaUCD Innovation Champion of the Year Award
- Inventor of Disruptive Biosensors with Industrial Bioprocessing Applications Receives 2023 NovaUCD Invention of the Year Award
- seamlessCARE Receives 2023 NovaUCD Spin-Out of the Year Award
- Prof Francesco Pilla launches new bike libraries for Dublin primary schools
- Launch of WATSON Project at UCD
- UCD's Livija Vasilenkaite - First Prize Winner #ThisIsEngineering2023
- Minister Harris and Commissioner McGuinness announce first recipients under the €65M National Challenge Fund
- Séamus McDermott receives his Honorary Doctorate
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - The Final Days
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 3
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 2
- College researchers recognised in UCD Research Impact Competition
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952)
- Arup Scholarship Presentation 2022
- UCD wins Higher Education Partnership of the Year Award at the Asia Matters Business Awards
- Dr Amiya Pandit wins the Thomas Mitchell Medal
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2022
- 2022 News Archive
- 2021 News Archive
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
- Building the State
- A Centenary Celebration
UCD PhD candidate wins Royal Academy of Engineering early-stage career award
Thursday, 6 July, 2017
UCD PhD candidate Frank O’Leary is one of five young engineers in the UK and Ireland who have received early-stage career awards of £3,000 from the Royal Academy of Engineering.
The Civil Engineering PhD candidate’s research at UCD focuses on analysing the behaviour of retaining walls in clay. Frank works in the UK with engineering firm Arup as a geotechnical engineer. He is currently working on the design and construction of a basement beneath a hotel in London.
A post shared by Frank O'Leary (@fwalnuts) on Jun 30, 2017 at 3:07pm PDT
He and his colleagues found a way to excavate a five-storey basement beneath the building while ensuring that it remained fully operational.
“Frank is an exceptionally capable and driven engineer who has excelled in all of the varied and challenging roles he has undertaken at Arup,” said Tim Chapman, Infrastructure London Leader, Arup.
Frank shares his research and field expertise with the engineering community by giving presentations to industry bodies, publishing peer-reviewed papers and being a peer reviewer for the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Together with the University of Cambridge, he has won funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council for a PhD studentship and will be the industrial supervisor of the research.
The overall winner of The Royal Academy of Engineering early-stage career awards, Dr Ruth Misener from Imperial College, also received the Sir George Macfarlane Medal for excellence in the early stage of her career.
The Royal Academy of Engineering was founded in 1976 and is the UK’s national academy of engineering.
By: Jamie Deasy, digital journalist, UCD University Relations