Below you will find information on various supports for LGBTI+ identifying staff and students, as well as links to previous events hosted in the University. UCD is proud of its inclusive culture which is central to making your time at UCD a positive and welcoming experience. We are committed to follow the UCD values by showing respect for and be inclusive of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
Gender Identity and Expression Policy - Summary
Gender identity and expression is a positive, core part, of being human and experiencing wellbeing and fulfilment. UCD celebrates its diverse community of employees and students and their diverse gender identities and expression. Fundamental equality and inclusion in UCD’s community is central to our University’s ethos of academic excellence and integrity and our aspiration to be leaders in our society.
- Gender Identity and Expression Guidelines
- Gender Identity & Expression Policy
- Student Records Flowchart
- Transitioning at UCD
- Gender neutral facilities on Belfield campus
Updating Pronouns on Zoom and Email Signatures
Sharing pronouns on Zoom communicates how you would like to express your gender and how others can respectfully refer to one another. Adding your pronouns lets others know that you want to be inclusive and respectful of trans and gender non-binary employees and students in UCD.
- Instructions for sharing your pronouns on Zoom: click here
- Update my email signature: click here
- Learn more about how you can support transgender inclusion at UCD: click here
All single stall bathrooms across Campus are gender neutral. New signage to reflect this policy change will be implemented in 2018. See the UCD map for gender inclusive facilities.
Ten Tips for LGBTI+ Inclusion
Raising awareness lets your colleagues know that you are against the discrimination and violence of LGBTI people. UCD has provided Top Ten Tips to encourage UCD employees to visibly and proactively show their support for the inclusion of LGBTI staff and students in the University Community:
- Add your pronouns to your email singature
- Promote UCD’s Gender Identity and Expression Policy and LGBTI Initiatives
- Know the law: The Employment Equality Acts (2015) outlaw discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Address Homophobic, Biphobic, Transphobic and Intersexist Behaviour
- Promote Supports for LGBTI Staff and Students (an extensive list of supports can be found below)
- Don't assume everyone is heterosexual or that their gender identity corresponds with their birth sex
- Be mindful of your own assumptions and choice of language - this glossary of terms may be useful.
- Participate in University LGBTI Inclusion Initiatives in your School/Unit
- Respect Confidentiality - in terms of sexual orientation, gender idenity or sex.
- Demonstrate Leadership - you can lead by example and postiviely influence UCD's culture.
Show/hide content Open Close All
For anyone experiencing issues in relation to thier gender identity, a number of supports are available for employees and students.
Supports are available to all employees, and their immediate family, through the Employee Assistance Service (EAS). The EAS is a confidential counselling and information service independent of UCD to assist all employees in dealing with personal issues that could pose a threat to our health, well-being, relationships or employment.
Student supports are available from the Student Advisers and the Student Counselling Service. The Student Counselling service is a free and confidential service staffed by professionally qualified psychologists and counsellors which provides easily accessible support for students when personal issues arise that affect their happiness, well-being, capacity to cope, relationships or learning.
Gender Identity Family Support Line: 01 907 3703. In operation every 2nd and 4th Friday from 6-9pm
- The LGBTI Group is a subgroup of the EDI Group. You can find information on the members and their Terms of Reference on the LGBTI Group page.
- The LGBTI Staff Network is one of UCD's EDI Networks and is a great opportunity for employees to connect with UCD’s LGBTI Community. More information on the EDI Networks webpage
- Off-campus engagement and well-being programmes are available during the period of Covid-19 – check out the Culture & Engagement Website for further information.
- Do not miss the UCD Staff Ezine regularly for upcoming Parents webinars and events.
- UCD has launched the new Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Peer Support Group. The members are trained in Mental Health First Aid and offer support and information to colleagues who are feeling overwhelmed and are concerned about their mental wellbeing. While Covid-19 restrictions are in place, UCD MHFA Peer Support Group will be reachable via Zoom as opposed to face-to-face.
LGBT Ireland: LGBT Ireland is a national support service for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender people and their families and friends.
TENI (Transgender Equality Network Ireland): TENI seeks to improve the situation and advance the rights and equality of trans people and their families. Our Vision is an Ireland where trans people are understood, accepted and respected, and can participate fully in all aspects of Irish society.
UCD Gender Identity and Expression Policy wins CIPD Diversity and Inclusion Award
In February 2019, UCD's new Gender Identity and Expression Policy was the CIPD Diversity and Inclusion winner at the 2019 CIPD HR Awards.
The development of UCD’s Gender Identity and Expression policy was a radical initiative that led to cultural transformation within UCD and impacts over 40,000 students, employees and visitors. As part of an innovative approach to policy development there was University-wide consultation and training of front-line staff, all contributing to embedding outcomes to support gender identity and expression.
The judges were impressed with the thoughtful design and implementation, the co-creation and inclusive approach with students and staff and then the influencing of significant structural changes to buildings. This initiative redefined the boundaries of the HR role and demonstrated how HR built a strong voice that delivered impact and scale.
Events & Further Resources
Below you will find information on previous events hosted by the University to mark Pride, IDAHOBIT (International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia), Transgender Awareness Week, LGBTI History Month and more. You can also access resources created for these events which may be useful to you.
LGBTQI+ History Month 2022
To celebrate LGBTQI+ History Month, UCD is hosting this webinar to explore being LGBTQI+ across the decades. Join us to hear from LGBTQI+ people about their everyday experiences to the meaningful moments that matter most to them. More information on the event can be found here.
Seasons Greetings from UCD LGBTI Subgroup
Click on the download button below and share this poster in your College, School/Unit with employees and students.
Seasons Greetings from LGBTI Subgrouppdf|
Celebrate Pride with UCD
UCD hoisted a new Progress Pride flag designed by Daniel Quasar to celebrate an inclusive Pride and to recognise LGBTI+ people of colour and trans people.
Join us and celebrate Pride by:
- Join UCD's Pride webinar on LGBTI Inclusion in the Curriculum, 10th June: Click here to register
- Find out what's happening during Pride Month 2021 here
- Read more about the Progress Pride Flag here
- Add the below UCD Progress Pride Flag visual to your signature for the month of June