Carer’s Leave provides for the temporary absence from the college for an employee who wishes to give full-time care and attention to a person requiring it. Below you will find a brief summary of the steps you need to take to apply for Carer's Leave; the form required to make the application and a detailed policy outlining your entitlement.
Carer's Leave Policy
Carer’s leave is available to all employees of the college who have completed one year’s continuous service in UCD. In the case of temporary staff employed under a fixed-term contract of employment, any entitlement to leave or other benefits lasts only as long as the contract of employment lasts. Full criteria for eligibility are outlined in the Carer’s Leave Policy.
The minimum period of leave is 13 weeks and the maximum period is 104 weeks. The Policy sets out the manner in which this may be taken and the application process associated with Carer’s Leave.
Read the Carer's Leave Policy now.
This section contains a summary of a UCD policy, however, in all cases the Policy remains the definitive source of information on the topic.
Carer's Leave Application Process
- Step 1: At least 12 weeks in advance of your commencement date you will need to apply to the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs. You will not be entitled to take Carer’s Leave until UCD HR receives a copy of this decision and the processing time is quite lengthy.
- Step 2: At the same time as making the application to the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs, you should-
- Read the university Carer’s Leave Policy
- Inform your Head of School/Unit that you are applying for this leave.
- Complete the “Notification of Intention to take Carer’s Leave” form. This must be countersigned by your Head of School/Unit before forwarding it to email@example.com
- Step 3: You send a copy of the decision reached by the Deciding Officer (Dept of Family & Social Affairs) to enable UCD HR to process your Carer’s Leave application. You will not be entitled to take Carer’s Leave form the college until UCD HR receives a copy of this decision.
- Step 4: On receipt of the decision from the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs, UCD HR will send you the “Carer’s Leave Confirmation Form B” form for your signature. This form will confirm the following information:
- The duration of the leave
- Your carer’s leave dates
- The date you are due to return to the college following Carer’s Leave
- Step 5: Once you sign the “Confirmation Form B” return it to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy of this form will be sent to you.
- Notification of Intention to take Carer’s Leave - Carer's Leave Form
- Notification of return to work - Carer's Leave Return to Work Form
Frequently Asked Questions
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Yes, provided you have one year’s continuous service in the College and you supply HR Operations with a copy of the decision from the Deciding Officer in the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs.
Note! If you are employed under a fixed-term or specified-purpose contract, any leave (or any other benefit) will end when the contract ends.
All information relating to carer’s leave is contained within the university's carer’ leave policy. However, if you have any queries arising from reading this policy you can contact email@example.com
Yes, provided it has been approved by your Head of School/Unit
Note: You will only accrue annual leave and public holidays for the first thirteen weeks of absence from work on carer’s leave for each relevant person.
Contact the HR Helpdesk
The HR Helpdesk is the primary point of contact for all your employment-related queries. We are here to help you with any queries on employee benefits, terms & conditions and HR policies & procedures. If we can’t help you directly we will refer your query to a HR specialist area.
2nd Floor Roebuck Offices,
UCD Belfield Campus.