A competency is a skill or attribute that is required to carry out a role effectively. They are normally an important part of job descriptions. Core competencies apply across all Job Families but their relevance will vary between roles at different levels. In UCD, 12 Core Competencies have been identified and these are detailed below:
- Builds effective working relationships within own area and more broadly,
- Encourages cooperation and collaboration in others.
- Fosters partnerships to achieve results.
- Engages in written and oral communication that is clear, unambiguous, transparent, and consistent with UCD’s Values.
- Conveys and shares information and ideas with others, listens carefully, clarifies understanding and considers different viewpoints.
- Influences others in a positive way.
- Aligns and builds effective teams both within School/Unit/College and across UCD.
- Works effectively with senior management and with the University’s academic and business communities.
- Mentors, motivates and guides others towards achievement of goals.
- Takes a positive approach to tackling work and embraces change.
- Invites feedback relating to performance and deals constructively with it.
- Fosters an environment of innovation and change.
- Ensures appropriate stakeholder involvement and engagement in change programmes/projects.
- Ensures change is aligned with UCD’s core Values
- Aligns the right work with the right people; delegates tasks according to people’s strengths and interests; Ensures people have the skills and reasonable resources to get things done.
- Works to create a strong team. Treats everyone fairly and consistently. Shares accountability when delegating. Involves staff in setting their performance goals.
- Provides regular and meaningful feedback that supports individuals to be successful.
- Actively supports people in progressing their careers and achieving their potential.
- Effectively supports performance challenges
- Understands the importance of stakeholder engagement.
- Responds to stakeholder needs and manages expectations.
- Is sensitive to the different requirements within a diverse University setting.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates an understanding of UCD in its entirety, including governance structures and regulations.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the Higher Education Landscape in which UCD operates.
Planning & Organisation
- Plans and organises own work effectively.•Sets clear priorities and ensures deadlines are met.
- Organises activities, separates and combines tasks to deliver outputs according to a clear timeframe to realise School/Unit/College/University objectives.
- Ensures project or programme goals, purpose, and criteria for success are clearly defined at the outset.
- Clarifies related roles and responsibilities, deliverables, milestones.
- Builds a detailed project plan and carefully monitors progress against it.
Service Focus & Innovation
- Understands and anticipates customer needs.
- Acts to provide high-quality products and services to meet expectations of all internal and external stakeholders.
- Generates a range of innovative ideas to make systems/procedures more customer friendly.
- Makes suggestions for improvements in own work area.
- Acts early to address and resolve problems and find solutions.
- Is proactive in relation to own development, utilising feedback mechanisms.
- Develops a vision for the School/Unit/College/University and translates this vision into action.
- Aligns the School/Unit/College objectives with the University’s goals and objectives.
- Communicates UCD’s vision in ways that gains the support of others
- Sees opportunities across different areas of activity and proactively connects the dots.