You can only take it for urgent reasons relating to the injury or illness of certain family members as outlined in the college parental leave policy under section seven. However, it is limited to circumstances where your immediate presence, at the place where the ill or injured person is situated is indispensable.
Force Majeure Leave
Page updated 9 August 2022
A member of staff shall be entitled to leave with pay for urgent family reasons, for example, an injury or illness of a child, spouse/partner, brother or sister, parent or grandparent. This is called Force Majeure Leave and falls under the Parental Leave policy. This Leave is limited to circumstances where your immediate presence at the place where the ill or injured person is situated is indispensable. In this section you can find more about the Force Majeure process and browse Frequently Asked Questions.
Parental Leave Policy
Force Majeure is detailed within the Parental Leave Policy.
Process for taking Force Majeure Leave
- Step 1: As soon as it is reasonably practicable after your return to the college after an absence on force majeure leave, you must complete and sign the “Force Majeure Leave Notification Form” form and have it countersigned by the Head of School/Unit before forwarding it to UCD HR.
- Step 2: You must give your Head of School/Unit a doctor’s certificate detailing the nature, length or expected length of the illness/injury of your family member not later than four weeks after the date of the leave. A copy of this certificate must be sent to UCD HR.
What happens next?
You will receive a letter from UCD HR confirming:
- Receipt of your “Force Majeure Notification Leave” form.
- Your force majeure leave dates.
Employee Assistance Service
The UCD (EAS) is a 24/7 free and confidential support service designed to assist you in dealing more effectively with any personal or work-related problems you might be facing. The service is operated confidentially by Spectrum.Life, the largest provider of employee health and wellness services in Ireland.
The service can be used by a UCD employee, their spouse, civil partner and dependents where the family member can be described as over the age of 18 and residing in the family home.
- Freephone 1800 814 243 (Ire)
- WhatsApp & SMS: Text ‘Hi’ to 087 369 0010
- Email: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Three days in any period of twelve consecutive months or five days in any period of thirty-six consecutive months.
Immediate Family Members: a child (natural, adoptive or over which the employee is acting in loco parentis), spouse/partner, brother/sister, or parent/grandparent of the employee.
No, Force Majeure Emergency Leave cannot be taken for future scheduled medical procedure/appointments. There would be optimum time to a make alternative arrangements.
Contact the HR Helpdesk
The HR Helpdesk is the primary point of contact for all your employment-related queries by email and telephone. We are here to help you with any queries on employee benefits, terms & conditions and HR policies & procedures. If we can’t help you directly we will refer your query to a HR specialist area.
All visitors to UCD HR, Roebuck offices should be by appointment only and arrangements to be made with specific HR staff members.
UCD Belfield Campus.