Approval to engage in University Consulting covered by this policy should be sought in advance, from the College Principal or Vice-President, with the approval of the Head of School.
Application for approval of University Consulting should be made via the Consultancy & External Work Approval System in UCD InfoHub. A separate approval request for each individual piece of work is required. If a project is extended, additional work is identified or the scope of the project is altered ConsultUCD should be notified and additional approval may be required.
Approval to undertake University Consulting may be given by the College Principal or Vice-President on the basis that:
- The activities are related to the academic and professional interests of the academic staff.
- All external activities (both University Consulting and external work) do not exceed 20% of working time.
- The activities do not interfere with the performance of normal academic/research duties and is approved by the Head of School.
- The activities do not give rise to any conflict of interest for academic staff or for the University. For further information refer to the UCD Conflict of Interest policy.
- The activities will not cause reputational damage to the University.
- The activities are managed by ConsultUCD.
- The legal terms are approved by ConsultUCD, with input from UCD Legal should the standard ConsultUCD Terms & Conditions not be accepted.
Academic staff will be reminded of the requirement to seek permission each year through an email from their College Principal or Vice-President.
The approving College Principal or Vice-President may revoke or amend permission for University Consulting work at any stage where, in their opinion, an external commitment is no longer consistent with the contractual duties of the academic staff.