Information for Administrators
if you are involved in the appointment of Tutors or Demonstrators it is important that you read and understand the following.
Tutor / Demonstrator contracts process
- UCD has 4 online contracts:
- Tutor (Student)
- Tutor (Non-student)
- Demonstrator (Student)
- Demonstrator (Non-student)
- The contract will specify the minimum hours to be worked per week for each trimester for the period covered by the contract
- Tutors/Demonstrators must receive a contract no later than 5 days from the date work commences
Tutors/Demonstrators Process Map
Engaging a Tutor/Demonstrator
- The online InfoHub system will automatically generate a contract based on the data inputted by the claimant and School/Unit administrator (there is no change to the initiation of the setup process)
- Schools/Units will be required to estimate the minimum number of hours per week and number of weeks per trimester
- The Head of School/Unit (or nominee) is responsible for the review, approval and issue of the contract to the Tutor/Demonstrator. Once approved, the contract will be made available to the Tutor/Demonstrator
- The contract must be issued no later than 5 days from the date work commences
- Schools/units will monitor contract offer/acceptance rates and overall allocation of hours (InfoHub will offer enhanced reporting to facilitate this)
New or returning Tutor/Demonstrator?
- Returning Tutors/Demonstrators: schools should complete the hourly set up process as early as possible in advance of the start of the Academic Year.
- New Tutors/Demonstrators: For 1st time Tutors/Demonstrators contracts should be issued in advance of start of work but no later than 5 days after their start date.
Notes for Administrators
- All Tutors/Demonstrators should receive an online contract before starting work
- Make sure your hourly set up and online contract are accurate 1st time by reviewing all key details (i.e. Start/End Date, Pay Rate, Min. Hours/Number of weeks) prior to the online contract being issued.
- Monitor contract offer/acceptance rates to ensure no unnecessary delays to set up (InfoHub will offer enhanced reporting to facilitate this)
- Ensure valid work permit is in place for duration of the contract
- Contract duration not to exceed relevant academic year (i.e. 31st Aug)
- Start Date should reflect 1st day of work
- End date should reflect the last day of work
HR Top Tips:
- Plan & identify Tutor Demonstrators early
- Where possible Tutors / Demonstrators should receive contracts in advance of the upcoming academic year.
It is very important that Schools/Units make the necessary arrangements to ensure Tutors and Demonstrators are appointed and issued contracts prior to their start dates. Please note that the requirements set out above are covered under the Employment Act 2018. cIf you have any queries on the above, please email HRhelpdesk@ucd.ie.
Contact the HR Helpdesk
The HR Helpdesk is the primary point of contact for all your employment-related queries by email and telephone. We are here to help you with any queries on employee benefits, terms & conditions and HR policies & procedures. If we can’t help you directly we will refer your query to a HR specialist area.
All visitors to UCD HR, Roebuck offices should be by appointment only and arrangements to be made with specific HR staff members.
UCD Belfield Campus.