The 1981 BCL Class celebrate forty years since graduation
- Leading scholar of EU Law and Labour Law appointed Full Professor at UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Court of Appeal Workshop
- Four Adjunct Professors Appointed to UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Launch of Barristers in Ireland: An Evolving Profession Since 1921 by Dr Niamh Howlin
- UCD SUTHERLAND OPPORTUNITY supported by MASON HAYES & CURRAN LLP BURSARIES
- Professor Ian O'Donnell wins US Criminology Book Award
- Four UCD Law students take part in Our Rule of Law Academy in Brussels
- International Conference on Education and Democratic Citizenship (ICEDC) hosted in Sutherland School of Law
- International Symposium “Entrenching a Global Health Emergency Mode: Implications for Health and Human Rights Law”
- John M. Kelly lecture 2023 delivered by Baroness Onora O’Neill
- The 1981 BCL Class celebrate forty years since graduation
- Minister Roderic O’Connor chairs panel at seminar hosted by UCD Centre for Constitutional Studies
- Leading scholar of international refugee and migration law appointed Full Professor at UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Caoilfhionn Gallagher KC appointed Adjunct Full Professor at UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Copy of Donnybrook Magdalene Laundry Book Presented to the President of Ireland
- UCD team wins the 2023 Corn Adomnáin – International Humanitarian Law Competition
- UCD Sutherland Opportunity supported by Mason Hayes & Curran BURSARIES
- HRER/ UCD Conference 12 June 2023: preliminary announcement and Call for Papers (deadline 13.03.23)
- Professor Gráinne de Búrca awarded UCD Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws
- Further Learning in Employment Law
- UCD Law Team wins the National Moot Court Competition 2022
- Dr Michael F Farrell, human rights activist awarded Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws
- UCD Law alumna, Judge Síofra O’Leary, appointed president of European Court of Human Rights
- Large numbers of Alumni attend the 2022 Milestone Reunion
- Portrait of Mrs Justice Catherine McGuinness
- Dr Lukasz Grzejdziak appointed to EU Project for sustainable reforms in Ukraine's justice sector
- Mr Justice Gerard Hogan launches ‘Palles: The Legal Legacy of the Last Lord Chief Baron
- Conferring of UCD Matheson PhD Scholar in Commercial Law
- UCD PhD Student Awarded Irish Research Council Funding
- Professor Laurent Pech appointed Dean at UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Magdalene Laundries: Told, Acknowledged and Not Forgotten
- Professor John D Feerick conferred with honorary Degree of Doctor of Law
- 2022 Matheson | UCD Leadership Series Crypto and the Digital Assets Revolution: What’s Next?
- Histories of Probation in Ireland: A Theoretical Analysis
- Three Upcoming Constitutional Law Conferences in UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Lord Hendy focuses on P&O Ferries for the 2022 Guest Lecture in Employment Law
- Lord Sumption delivers the 2022 John M. Kelly lecture to a large audience in UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Chief Justice Launches UCD Student Legal Services Journal 2022
- The Rt. Hon the Lord Mayor of the City of London, Alderman Vincent Keaveny visits UCD Sutherland School of Law
- UCD Law hosts Student Event on The European Strategic Autonomy with Admiral Mellett (ret.) and Colonel Dirou
- UCD Law Students Refugee Law Mooting Success
- Major Conference on Philanthropy hosted by UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Fourteen Law Students Awarded Medals at Bank of Ireland Prize Giving
- Professor Imelda Maher appointed Fellow at New York University
- 2022 Helga Pedersen Moot Court Competition
- Ad Astra Fellows, UCD Sutherland School of Law
- Sutherland Fellow in French Law 2021/22
- Legal History Research Group publishes new book
- Mentors Sought for UCD Law Students
- Alumnus Vincent Keaveny appointed Lord Mayor of the City of London
- Three Doctoral candidates awarded Irish Research Council Scholarships
- European Traineeship in Intellectual Property
- THE Rankings position UCD Sutherland School of Law as Ireland’s leading University Law School
- The Class of 2022
- News 2021
- News 2020
- News 2019
- News 2018
- News 2017
- News 2016
The 1981 BCL Class celebrate forty years since graduation
We were delighted to support the organisers of the Class of 1981 Reunion in February 2023. The Milestone Reunion which we would normally have hosted for them in 2021 had not taken place due to Covid but they were able to belatedly mark their 40 Years since graduation from the UCD School of Law, this year.
Over 60 Alumni gathered in the Blue Room of the Law Society of Ireland in Blackhall Place for the event led by class alumni Martin Lawlor, Richard Devereux and Gearóidín Charlton who worked for several months on the event, supported by UCD Alumni Relations on the event.
Alumni were greeted on arrival by UCD Alumni Relations and were gifted a commemorative UCD pin. During the reminiscing, catch ups and champagne, Law lecturer John O'Dowd from the UCD Sutherland School of Law spoke to the Class of 1981 about some of the changes that had happened at the School over the last four decades, updating them on previous lecturers, current school activities and achievements.
Following the speeches, the class retired to the Restaurant in Blackhall Place to continue the evening over dinner and catch up on a few more memories.
Margaret Walsh, Adrienne Bergin and Isabel Foley
Mr Justice Michael McGrath, Gearóidín Charlton and Orla Finn
Nollaig Green and Mary Quinn
The BCL Class of 1981
Minister Roderic O’Connor chairs panel at seminar hosted by UCD Centre for Constitutional Studies
The UCD Centre for Constitutional Studies has organised several successful events under its professional development programme so far in 2023.
The year started with its 9th annual update on Irish Constitutional Law which took place in January with speakers Professor Eoin Carolan SC, Brian Foley SC, Dr Tom Hickey (DCU), Dr Sarah Fulham McQuillan and Associate Professor John O'Dowd. Speakers looked at the key decisions on Irish constitutional law that were delivered by the courts in 2022.
Prof Eoin Carolan SC, Minister Roderic O’Gorman, Orla Keane and Prof Laurent Pech, UCD Dean of Law
In late April, the Centre organised an information event for legal and healthcare professionals to coincide with the commencement of ‘The Assisted Decision-Making Capacity Act. The Act marks the biggest change for decades in Ireland's legal framework for people with capacity issues and abolishes the current wards of court system. The first panel of the day was hosted by Mr. Justice David Barniville, President of the High Court and the second by Mr. Roderic O’Gorman TD, Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth. Guest speakers included Áine Hynes SC, St John Solicitors, Fiona McNulty, Mason Hayes & Curran, Aoife Mulligan BL and Orla Keane, General Counsel Mental Health Commission and the Decision Support Service.
Mr. Justice David Barniville with Áine Hynes SC of St John Solicitors
The Centre’s annual ‘Current Issues in Irish Public Law’ conference was held again this year with twenty-five participants from the judiciary, law firms and academia. The conference is one of the Centre’s largest annual events and attracts speakers and attendees from academia and legal practice every year.
This year, the Centre was honoured to welcome the following distinguished guests to chair panels through the day: Hon. Mr. Justice Collins, Supreme Court, Hon. Ms. Justice Butler, Court of Appeal, Hon. Mr. Justice O’Higgins, High Court, Hon. Ms. Justice Phelan, High Court, Mr Rossa Fanning SC, Attorney General and Ciarán Toland SC.
The UCD Centre for Constitutional Studies was also grateful to the many speakers who delivered papers on the day: Denise Brett SC, Eoin Carolan SC and UCD, Sarah Cooney BL, Roisin Costello BL, April Duff BL, Emily Farrell SC, John Fitzgerald SC, Brian Foley SC, Finn Keyes BL, Ronan Lupton SC, Tony McGillicuddy SC, Aoife Mc Mahon BL, Aoiffe Moran from Mason Hayes & Curran, Aoife Mulligan BL, Professor Colm O’Cinneide of UCL, John O’Dowd from UCD, Ailbhe O’Neill SC and TCD, Bernadette Quigley SC, Eltin Ryle of Matheson and Mark Rodgers BL.
Those interested in attending future events can ensure that they receive advance information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.