- Step 1: Once a Timesheet has been submitted to you, as Approver 1 you will receive an email stating that a timesheet has been submitted for approval
- Step 2: Login to ESS & Select My Hourly Timesheets from the menu on the left
- Step 3: Scroll down to the Approvals section to see timesheets waiting for approval
- Step 4: To view a particular time sheet click on View
- Step 5: Select the rate of pay from the dropdown menu
- Step 6 : Select the cost centre / Research project account from the dropdown menu
- Step 7: If you are rejecting the timesheet state a reason why
- Step 8: Select ‘Approve’ or ‘Reject’ or ‘Save for later’ (as appropriate)
Note: In your absence you can select Timesheet Approver Nomination - See Quick Guide for Approver 1
What Happens Next?
- If Approver 1 approves a timesheet it then goes to Approver 2.
- If Approver 1 rejects a timesheet it goes back to the claimant who will need to resubmit.
Note: If a claim is rejected by Finance / Payroll the timesheet goes back to Approver 2, who then must decide if it should be returned to the claimant or to Approver 1. The claim must be resubmitted by Approver 2 as per the current deadline in order to be paid in that payroll run.
Hourly Timesheets Summary
The Screen shows a summary of timesheets submitted and what stage they are at:
- New (timesheets with of Status of Submitted)
- Rejected by finance
- Historic/previously approved claims
- Approver nomination form